Who opens the letter?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sooetie

Who opens the letter?

Post by sooetie »

Hi - bit late in the evening but if anyone is about . Should I open the letter myself or give it to my son? It's likely to arrive after he's gone to school.
Luckily he won't be too disappointed if he doesnt get in, he's quite keen on the second choice as his friends will be there. I've also stressed that it is very competetive.
I suppose at the end of the day it could well be down to me - can I resist and wait for him to get home! I bet you're all thinking I'm the mum from ****!
Good Luck to you all :)
HP

Post by HP »

I guess it depends how stressed ones child is and whether you can stand the wait. Will he really mind if you open it :?: My daughter got really worked up over the last few days (quite a few posts from me on this) due to silly comments from teaching staff and lots of misinformation as to when the results would be out. She had previously asked me to open the letter anyway when it arrived and to tell her straight away after school. I hadn't told her that we had elected to receive an e-mail also in case this didn't work. In the end my e-mail arrived today, most at school won't get their letters tomorrow or Friday depending upon the post and I gave her a copy of the e-mail to read as soon as I got to school. Nearly as good as watching her open the letter herself without the uncertainty of any nasty shocks. After 2 days of misinformation and stress she was actually one of the first to find out :!: I was really glad to be able to relieve her stress quickly without prolonging the agony by asking her to open the e-mail/letter herself.

Hope this helps and good luck tomorrow.

HP
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Sooetie,

Just read your post on a separate thread, must have been typing at the same time. Your son's offhand comment about the post speaks volumes. Have you asked him if he wants you to open the letter?

HP
sooetie

Post by sooetie »

Thanks HP - I'll ask him in the morning - maybe I can steam the envelope open so he doesn't realise! Ha ha
sooetie

Post by sooetie »

we've sort of avoided the subject - I've made a point of saying that its a bonus if he gets in as his catchment school is the best in the area bar the grammars.
What happened to the days when you got the post before 8am?
HP

Post by HP »

Hopefully it will be one of those self seal ones that you can just open and seal down again :lol: :lol: :lol:

HP
sooetie

Post by sooetie »

I wasn't sure whether to ask how your daughter did - I hope she is happy with her school.

In honesty I don't think my boy will get in - my fault really - i didn't realise the system and left it really late to start any preparation. I did get him in with a tutor but he only went 4 times. He was worried that I had to pay Bless Him ( I'm a divorced mum with limited funds) Hopefully I'll be better prepared for my youngest in 3 years - but no doubt they'll change the system!
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Sooetie,

Posted earlier on a different thread about my Daughter's school. She got her 1st choice, and is soooo chuffed as although it is one of our closest school it is really difficult to get a place there, they take the top 5 % or so based on highest scores first :shock: I tutored her myself as I didn't realise that most get booked up early and those that had tutors kept their identities a closely guarded secret from the "competition". Money was a bit of an issue too but also found the flexibility of home tutoring much better with two other children in tow plus the after school clubs they all do.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow

HP
HP

Post by HP »

P.S. Your Son sounds wonderful in that he is concerned about the impact of the cost of tutoring on you. I'm sure he will do well wherever he goes.

HP
sooetie

Post by sooetie »

Congratulations to your daughter and you. :D

I found your other post. I'm really pleased for you that she did so well. Takes the pressure off your younger children too.

I actually moved house last year to make sure i was in the catchment area for his second choice school. Not everyone can do that - luckily I had a bit of help from my mum!

I was also lucky in that the tutor had 1 space left. It was only 8 weeks to the exam so I figure someone had dropped out. Even though he only went 4 times I got some advise from the tutor as I really didnt have a clue and what I found on the net was patchy to say the least. Unfortunately I didnt find this site then.

I really don't remember the exams being so difficult all those years ago - I passed and went to CCHS. But everybody took it in those days so it didnt seem to be such a big thing.

I'm sure you have a very happy house now and Good luck to your daughter for September :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now