Result Envelopes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
countrymum

Result Envelopes

Post by countrymum »

Hi.

Just wondered if anyone has any clarification on who the envelopes with results in are addressed to. Is it the parent/s?

If anyone has any advice/experience/tips on the 'opening of the envelope/s' situation maybe how you approached it, I would be very appreciative to hear.
Elphaba

Re: Result Envelopes

Post by Elphaba »

Addressed to the parent if I recall correctly

I opened them as soon as they arrived and ds wasn't here (he was sitting Sale when Urmston arrived, playing football when AGSB arrived and at school when Sale arrived). I told him the results but not the scores because I didn't want him to get drawn into discussion at school. I also didn't discuss scores with any other parents. For AGSB I told him his score was high enough for an out of catchment offer and I also told him where he'd got particularly impressive marks - just to give him something!

He was fine with this and when the hype had all died down and there was no discussion going on anymore, he read them himself and therefore found out his scores.

Everyone approaches it differently though. I know other people let their children open the results. I guess it's just what you feel will work best for you and your child.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks Elphaba, that is really helpful. I have quite a feisty yet sensitive child and she has said thus far she wants to open them. For me I don't want this and am finding it hard on how best to approach it. From knowing her I imagine she shall want to know every little detail there is on the paper, though I really think how you explained things to your child in the first instance, kind of brief yet to the point, may be best for us. But I know my DD and I know she would really want to see the result paper for herself.

Also I am not feeling too confident about results ( perhaps a safety net thing I don't know) and am imagining a non-pass for all of them. I guess I want to deal with it in the best possible way for me and her.

Regarding scores with other parents, how did you get round this? If they asked did you just say I don't want to discuss. I am imagining parents who are friends of mine (whose DC's took the exam/s too) would want to know but like you, even with a pass or not, I feel the actual score is quite a private thing.

What do people think of the forewarned forearmed thing, as in getting the kettle out and a bit of cellotape? I really feel I would need to prepare on what to say before seeing her.

Thanks again.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Definitely forewarned is forearmed ...... out with the kettle /scissors and glue / alternate enveloped with addres label stuck on it etc etc

Re other parents - just tell them the highest score possible and walk away.. they won't query it with you and it may shut them up
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Hi,

With regard to other parents I just said 'oh I'm not discussing scores with anyone because it's personal to ds'. I'm not really bothered what other people think. I knew I would feel horrible if I told people - it's just not anyone's business. People know if your child has passed or not and that's as much as they need to know - although we are just out of catchment for AGSB so the score is quite critical and people do get nosey about that but I just stood by my guns. People told me their child's scores but I just didn't return the information :lol:

With regard to your child, I suppose it all depends on your parenting style. I just told ds upfront that I wasn't going to tell him the actual scores until after the hype had died down and he accepted it. He's so busy in and out of school that he just seemed to forget about it and was happy with knowing he'd passed them all and done really well. He asked me if he could read the letters a few months down the line, I think when the allocations came out, and I gave them to him then.

It's not for everyone but it worked OK for me. I've got another child sitting next year and I may take a different approach then, I don't know, I'll see how it works - different child, different personality.
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

Country mum, you can pop round to mine for a cup of tea and a bit of envelope steaming if you like! :D it's what I'm contemplating doing. My DD wants to read it for herself. :shock: I don't think that's going to be a good thing.

Envelopes and address labels at the ready!
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Halemum wrote:Country mum, you can pop round to mine for a cup of tea and a bit of envelope steaming if you like! :D it's what I'm contemplating doing. My DD wants to read it for herself. :shock: I don't think that's going to be a good thing.

Envelopes and address labels at the ready!
Flip, I really hope they don't land on the Saturday. DD shall fly down those stairs! I have made 'special envelopes' too so she thinks she is the first to open :oops:

Best made plans and all that....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now