Help for Technology Aptitude test

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chinnakutti

Help for Technology Aptitude test

Post by Chinnakutti »

Hi,
Due to a sudden change in my husband's job, we have to move to Nottingham this month. We have found a school which has a Technical Aptitude test which includes - Hidden Shapes, Sections, Jigsawa and Wallpaper.

All of the above is fairly new to me and my son. Is it sufficient to use Bond 11+ books or should the 11+ NVR software be used?

Thanks a lot for the help.
stevew61

Re: Help for Technology Aptitude test

Post by stevew61 »

Well I googled and found, but I guess you've seen this,
The test consists of four types of question:

Hidden Shapes

This section assesses the key ability to create and hold onto an image of a shape that retains its true angles and relative proportions. Pupils have to search for a specific shape embedded in one of four more complex shapes.

Sections

These questions assess the ability to visualise a three-dimensional object from a two-dimensional drawing and imagine the effect of cutting it in two. Pupils have to pick which option shows the cross-section when a specific cut has been made.

Jigsaws

This task extends the process needed for Hidden Shapes to include combining and rotating images of shapes. Pupils have to imagine a number of shapes arranged to create a design.

Wallpaper

This type of task assesses the ability to visualise the continuation of a two-dimensional pattern by gauging the position of elements of the pattern that are hidden from view. Pupils have to select how the pattern would look through a hole in the screen which covers part of the pattern.
Looks like a kind of NVR assessment but with a huge bias towards spatial awareness and visual memory?

Something I would not be good at.

Some familiarisation would be helpful so search for spatial awareness and visual memory?
penguin

Post by penguin »

Hi

There is a spatial IQ app which has some tests similar to what you are describing esp. To guess the 2d image of a cross-sectional
Plane through a 3d complex shape.

The questions probably won't be in the same format, but the skills tested are perhaps the same.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

this site has some embedded images questions. There are also some in the Learning Together NVR book 2.

I've seen some of the others too - can't recall where at the moment though! The shape construction ones on the site linked above are a bit like the jigsaw task though.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now