Primary school appeal - difficult

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dobby

Primary school appeal - difficult

Post by Dobby »

These are exceptional circumastances and I need help.

I have 3 children at grammar.

I have one in independent.

I have a daughter in a poorly attaining state school.

I WANT - first 3 to stay as put.

4th child to attend local state school with daughter -( daughter will benefit 100%)

PROBLEM - local state school is oversubscribed.

APPEAL -

3 older sibllings went to local state school.

4th child needs to attend school with (state) peers for secondary transfer ease. (I can't afford to keep him in independent and as I can't work to pay fees.)

daughter needs to attend for community links, higher expectations, ease of parental involvement (me).

PROBLEM: -

1: social services are slow.

2: Local school claim they can't cope with daughter's special needs (I used to be chair of governors and last Ofsted says are very good at special needs)

3. New head is putting up barriers and doesn't want my children ( Me as possible threat , previous chair of Govs)

APPEAL: -

Vicar is supportive (church school)

Own social worker is supportive (letter for appeal)

Other than that what can I say?

I wanted to help a less advantaged child and yet the financial implications are my own child will miss out!

I feel very alone - have I sacrificed my 4th child for the sake of daughter?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm sure the needs of a fostered child would be high on any 'list'. After all those in care jump to the top of any list.

You need to show that your children's needs are best met by this school - quote their OfSTED report and how their aims match their needs.

I know from experience that it is possible to win these appeals
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Dobby

Could you just clarify which year group(s) the two children would be in at the time of admission?

Is it a foundation school, handling its own appeals?

Regards
Etienne
Dobby

difficult appeal

Post by Dobby »

Sorry I sounded so defensive in my first post (tired!)

The school is LA controlled and the appeal (son) is on Monday, dealt with by admissions (Bucks). My son will be year 6 in Sept and daughter will be in year 5. Social services will be dealing with my daughter's side of things.

Any ideas?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, Dobby. I just needed to make quite sure that KS1 is not involved.

If you haven't already done so, have a look at the Q&As section C, and particularly C2 for any further arguments you might use.

Has the vicar indicated the strength of his support in writing?

If you present your case as outlined originally, I think an LA panel would be very sympathetic.

What makes the outcome difficult to judge is how strong a case the LA will put forward (for example, is the school already heavily oversubscribed as a result of previous successful appeals?), or whether there are other cases just as good as yours on the day.

I would be surprised if the LA put obstacles in your way in any personal sense - their cases are usually "general" (i.e. too many children, not enough space, etc.). Of course, the headteacher might attend and say something, but I doubt that the panel would take kindly to any personal remarks.

If it's of any comfort, your case seems a lot stronger to me than the average primary transfer appeal.

Regards
Etienne
Dobby

difficult appeal

Post by Dobby »

Etienne

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have followed this site for ages - seeing both my latest into grammar and yet I now need help to get into local primary!

The vicar has put his support in writing and so has our fostering social worker ( on behalf of our son, because we are a family).

The school only has 2 children on the waiting list (both mine, one biologically and one looked after). I know 2 children are leaving the school - one is taking my sons place at the independent school!!!! - another at another independent school. What I don't know is whether the parents have informed the school and if so whether the headteacher has informed admissions. I asked admissions today but they said I had to put my request for info in an email and it could take 10 days to answer (after the appeal).

If my son has to go to a different school - so be it. He'll cope.

Our daughter really needs the place at local school to be with children she mixes with at Brownies, ballet, etc. Our comuunity is our support network.

The headteacher of the local school is to attend a meeting at her old school with ECPC, SS, my husband , myself and current headteacher, next week. They will (I have it on rumour) be trying to convince me they can't deal with her needs at the local school. This is not true as, the Ofsted report says they are very good at special needs ( I was Chair of govs at time) and my friends daughter has just left to move away (the little girl has Down's Syndrome and thrived at the school). The school is excellent with SEN - the only recent change is the head teacher. My daugther has emotional needs plus accompanying statement but not academic needs (she's doing OK - reading age increased by 18 months in the first 5 months she was with us and maths by a whole NC level)

I feel there is political money stuff going on and I'll need to be fully aware in the meeting.

Anyhow enough of my rambling - I tend to get millitant late at night!

Thanks

Dobby
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Dobby

I think it's very helpful to your case for this church school that you have written support from the vicar, and from the social worker.

Your previous involvement in the school (as chair of governors) is to your credit. Perhaps you could point out, gently and disarmingly, that you hope the contribution you have made to the school in the past does not in any way "disqualify" you from seeking a place now! Because you know the school so well, you are in a position to make the judgement that it is the right place for your son and daughter.

Good luck
Etienne
Dobby again

pupils leaving - need to appeal

Post by Dobby again »

Thanks

Meanwhile the plot thickens as I now know that two children are leaving the school from that relevant class - one has informed the school and in fact went on their transition day to my sons school today.
I phoned the head to find out if this meant my son was now at the top of the waiting list and she said she didn't have a waiting list and it is up to admissions. I emailed admissions and they got back to me saying they don't hold a waiting list and it is up to the school!

If the one child is leaving and my son is top of the list then surely I wouldn't have to appeal?

The second child is visiting his new school on Friday and probably will inform the old school on Monday - a bit late for our pm appeal! Head will know about this though and so could be a bit more helpful.

Dobby
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Dobby
I phoned the head to find out if this meant my son was now at the top of the waiting list and she said she didn't have a waiting list and it is up to admissions. I emailed admissions and they got back to me saying they don't hold a waiting list and it is up to the school!
Mention this to the panel (if the powers that be haven't caved in before the appeal). :D
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This 'game' was played on us too - I think they hope parents will give up!

Go for it Dobby!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now