Results Format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Confusedmumof2

Results Format

Post by Confusedmumof2 »

Can anyone help please?

My DD has just sat the 11 plus exam at DHSG, and we now await her results on 5th October.

As I understand, my DD's score will be given, along with the overall top and lowest scores - similar to the mock results.

Unless I'm missing something, this will not tell me whether or not my DD has scored high enough to gain a place at one of the grammar schools.

Why are the results provided in this format, rather than her actual position, ranked from the highest to the lowest?

We know that there are 240 places available between the schools, but will not have enough insight to make an informed decision about secondary admissions. It seems to me that most parents will naturally be hopeful, leading to total over-subscription and a high volume of appeals.

Any comments would be gratefully received. Mant thanks!
Beckii330

Re: Results Format

Post by Beckii330 »

DHSB do it the same way and I have no idea either. You either get a pass or a fail but the pass doesn't secure a place. So if my son does get a pass, we have to wait until March to find out if it was good enough. Crazy!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Beckii330 wrote:DHSB do it the same way and I have no idea either. You either get a pass or a fail but the pass doesn't secure a place. So if my son does get a pass, we have to wait until March to find out if it was good enough. Crazy!
I am struggling to understand the school documents - it looks to me as if they tell the top 174 that they have qualified and the school has a PAN of 174 ... is that correct or have I missed something?
Beckii330

Post by Beckii330 »

I'm sure the head said that we would get indication of a pass (or fail) but that it wasn't an offer of a place. That would come in March. If we were told we had qualified in the top 174, that would surely indicate a guaranteed place?

Or maybe I have misunderstood? :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Ah... yes,

The head is making the point that even if you pass, it isn't an offer and you still have to put the school down on the CAF and then the official offer comes in march... if it isn't on the CAF then you won't be considered even if you pass.

Same thing happens in Skipton - 112 places in each school, about 80 local kids pass and are guaranteed a place ... but just occasionally someone puts some more distant comprehensive first on the CAF and then is surprised when they aren't given a GS place.

My reading of the DHSB is that they indicate the 174 who have passed + some others who can ask to be on the WL?

Still can;t get my head around the girls school system though :?
twinmum2001

Post by twinmum2001 »

We are also trying to get our heads around the DHSB system. We believe if your child gets given an 'A' they must be in the top 174 (ranked by their standardised score) and they will also be achieving the desired score in English composition piece (whatever that is- but they say that is based on the overall average score of all boys that took it...to pass it they must score 75% of that average score. i.e. If average score is 10/20 then 75th percentile should be 7.5???)

It clearly states that those awarded a 'B' have the right to appeal...but nowhere does it say 'A' can appeal- which once again makes us believe that they do not need to as only 'A' are in top 174.

In order to secure a place obviously need to apply to both school and Council...

We have been told by the school that some children who sit the 11+ have no intention of putting DHSB as their first choice school, it is more about having options should their preferred school be full.

Hope I have made some sense?

Roll on 5th October...and 1st March- never wished my life away quite so much!!!
nezumi

Post by nezumi »

The DHSB head said you get told that you have an indicative pass or fail

An indicative pass is the top 174 plus some for the waiting list. He didn't say how many made up the waiting list. I would imagine an indicative pass will be the top 190/200 or something.

I'm not sure it will lead to a high number of appeals. If we get an indicative pass we'll probably put DHSB first but if, come March, we find that there's no place for S2 then we'll be quite happy with the second choice school. We wouldn't appeal.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now