Extra Marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manny0311

Extra Marks

Post by Manny0311 »

Hi
Does anyone know how and what the extra marks are given to children depending on date of birth ? I have heard somewhere that this happens and i didn't understand why and how..
scary mum

Re: Extra Marks

Post by scary mum »

No extra marks. The marks are standardised by month. Just search on standardisation and you will find loads on here. It means that children are only compared to those birn in the same month as them.
scary mum
drummer

Post by drummer »

No one has extra marks given or has marks taken away. The children are simply compared to all the other children born in the same month as them and the pass mark is set accordingly for that cohort. Because there is a real birth month (in relation to academic school year start) effect the raw score need for an August child to qualify tends to be slightly lower than the raw score needed by a September child.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Have a look here for an explantion of the process and here for a simplified example of an age standardisation table.
StacatoMum

Post by StacatoMum »

Hi,

I've read somewhere about a birthday being rounded up to the next full month. So does that mean a child born on the 25th of Jan is categorised as a Feb child? And a child born on a 5th would be considered a December. Or I got it all wrong? Hope someone can clarify. Thanks.
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

You are standardised within the month you are born... No rounding up or down a month.

If you compare the marks needed for an August born child (youngest within the academic year) they probably are looking at needing to achieve approx 66/80 whereas a September born child (oldest in the academic year) would need approximately 71/80. The exact marks change from year to year but this gives you an idea of how it works.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now