Chalfont St Giles Middle or Chalfont St Peter Academy ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Delilah

Chalfont St Giles Middle or Chalfont St Peter Academy ?

Post by Delilah »

Moving to the area -- what do I need to know and what should I consider about each?
Y

Re: Chalfont St Giles Middle or Chalfont St Peter Academy ?

Post by Y »

Check out the homework requirements. I'm not too sure of my schools, but a friend's children attended a school in CStP, and the homework commitment was frankly horrendous. I hear of so many families (my own included), where family life has been destroyed by primary homework commitments, that I would fight shy of any school where the requirement was too great. There really is more to life than projects and spelling sentences.
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

They are both good schools. Go and look round and see which you prefer because they both have positives and negatives. St Peter is bigger (3 form entry) and has traditionally been the more pushy, suiting academic, sporty kids but I have known kids who didn't thrive in the environment and others who flourished. Likewise some love the Chalfont St Giles Junior School and others not so keen. Other families opted for Seer Green where there is only one form entry and a combined school. IMHO all the primary schools are good in this area.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Look at the new Ofsted report for Robertswood School in Chalfont St Peter - the new head seems to be doing great things. We are very fortunate to have a good choice of schools in the area.
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

Agree that it depends on your child, however things to look for based on comments from a number of friends:

CSG was downgraded from Outstanding to Good in most recent Ofsted. Facilities ok, big sports field next door. Teaching can really vary - see Ofsted. Head covers two separate schools, so eye not always as on the ball. Not many passed 11+ last year, especially low for boys. Although this is obviously cohort-based there were a lot of unhappy parents. Obviously works for some children, SENCo from linked infant school now covers both.

CSP lots and lots of work, 'private school without the fees' is comment from lots of parents. Lots of holiday work - 'demanding' projects. Small space for so many children. Gets better 11+ results. Much more pressure - if your child can cope they'll thrive. Big on sport, squads though so only best represent school.

Seer Green, if you can get in (!) haven't heard anything negative.

GX CE school, again great if you can get in!

HTH!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

CSG was downgraded from Outstanding to Good
I'm not sure that is a fair comment as the Ofsted bar has been raised considerably and, although I do not know the school, I see that their grade for teaching has not changed.

Many current 'outstanding' schools would not be so if they were reinspected ... in fact it is now impossible to get outstanding without teaching being outstanding
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

Possibly, but reading the report there are several reasons for the downgrading, variation in the quality of teaching being one of them.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Teaching was 'good' before and is good now - that is not a downgrading - with the same grades it just couldn't be outstanding as the rules have changed.
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

Reading both reports from 2009 and this year there appears to be more criticism of the teaching, take what you want from that.

I may have a child attending the school in a few years time, naturally the discrepancies between the two have raised some issues, no doubt the school will address them.

FWIW The only other local school to have been inspected under the new criteria, DCHS, improved to outstanding...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes but most GS will find it easier to hit outstanding because of high results - the bar has raised again since then ...

Teachers are very aware of this bar rising and rising. It is impossible to compare schools using Ofsted reports now ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now