GCSE query

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CharlieS

GCSE query

Post by CharlieS »

Hi, am hoping that someone already has experienced this situation or can at least offer some sensible advice.

DC2's school runs a GCSE system of taking half their GCSEs in Y10 and the other half in Y11. Not convinced about the merits of this, but it is what we are stuck with so we have to work with it. However, we have recently run up against an issue which the school appears not to have foreseen:

The DCs taking triple science (less than 20% of the year group) finish their physics, chemistry and biology GCSEs at the end of Y10.

Some of them will undoubtedly wish to go on and do one or more science A levels, but as it stands they won't be studying any science in Y11.

Has anyone come across this before? What can they do to maintain their science during this year - are there any other courses they could take in Y11? I should add this isn't about getting more qualifications but of keeping their science going during a year when they won't otherwise be studying it. Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: GCSE query

Post by hermanmunster »

Very difficult - can imagine that the interest / scientific knowledge may wane during the year 11! DDs school are doing science EPQ s as an option for some girls during year 11 (in the space left after finishing engineering) - EPQ could be an option as can follow own scientific interest and do some independent work..

PS is science compulsory in year 11? http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAn ... G_10013568" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

certainly looks like an option - it is OCR (website down at the mo... :roll: )
CharlieS

Post by CharlieS »

Thanks very much Belinda and Hermann - this was something the school had mentioned but I was under the impression that universities didn't like AS or A2s to be taken early, or to be spread over 3 years.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I gather that this is JUST an AS - possibly designed for this purpose. Assuming the kids do OK at AS in the individual science then university will not be counting the AS towards entry. I think what they don't like is the sort of:

Year 11 AS biology, AS maths
Year 12 A2 Biology, A2 maths, AS Physics, AS history
year 13 A2 physics A2 history

reckon they may not count the maths and biol here.
Amber

Post by Amber »

CharlieS wrote:Thanks very much Belinda and Hermann - this was something the school had mentioned but I was under the impression that universities didn't like AS or A2s to be taken early, or to be spread over 3 years.
They don't as a rule, but this is such an odd situation that if the child did this general qualification and then went on to do other Science A levels over the right time span I think it might work. The AS would be finished by the start of sixth form and as it is very general I doubt that universities could hold it against you. Better than doing nothing.

If this were me I would write to the Chair of Governors at the school asking for assurance that science education would continue for Year 11 students, bearing in mind the compulsory nature of the subject through KS4. I would hope that as a parent I wouldn't be put in the position of having to make suggestions, but it sounds like this one is reasonable if you are.
CharlieS

Post by CharlieS »

Brilliant, thanks for that. Will look at it in detail when OCR website back up and running.

Amber, yes, I quite agree in principle. However it has recently become clear that the school in question has not thought about this situation - indeed they admitted as much to us last week - so I fear parents of the 20-odd DCs who are taking triple science might need to offer 'suggestions' in this instance :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I remember DDs school suggesting that they were going to introduce a range of advanced options in year 11 - including AS level!!! i asked which subjects would be available... embarrassed silence and then RS and critical thinking were muttered .... realised that they weren't actually eligible for any that might really want to do :roll:
moved

Post by moved »

Science is compulsory in KS4, but individual years are not stated.

DS will have an AS in a language, along with 3/4 of his year group. I'm not sure what happens to this when he enters Y12. I would like to know how it would fit in with 3 sciences and maths. He has to make Y12 choices soon so I'm hoping to have more info before too long.

I keep wondering why DC are taking so many GCSEs. Surely any more than 10 are redundant.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now