Chatham Grammars giving 2nd (and 3rd) chances

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Samlet

Chatham Grammars giving 2nd (and 3rd) chances

Post by Samlet »

There is a really interesting article on the website that 'dare not speak its name', saying that the boys and girls grammars in Chatham are opening up two more chances of admission, as well as taking a Kent pass from DC who have not taken or have failed the Medway test.

Apparently they will also take DC who have not got a test pass but pass a test of their own creation to be sat in March, and if they still have places after that, on the basis of SATS results.
skip202

Re: Chatham Grammars giving 2nd (and 3rd) chances

Post by skip202 »

Hi
I have been reading these great forums for some time now and getting loads of useful information from them and this is my first post :-). My DS passed the Medway test :-) and being in Kent (Longfield) I think this is good news as we are going to Chatham Grammar School for Boys open evening on Tuesday. My next door neighbours best friend DS is currently going their and enjoying it and I have seen other comments about Chatham Grammar schools being good. So it will be interesting to see the school on Tuesday. I am also looking at Sir Jospeh Williamson's but not sure due to the over subscription distance requirement?
Our plan A is still Gravesend Grammar school as logistically the easiest to get to and it's the school I know best but I'm glad to have some backup plans. Also went to see our nearest school Longfield Academy and was very impressed with that as well.
It also interesting to read between the lines about a bit of snobbery between Grammar schools from West to East Kent. I like Medway and have no problem sending my DS there if that's what we decide. I'm just happy that a pass in the 11+ actually means a good chance of a Grammar school place rather than trying to scramble for a place and get the highest scores in some other grammar schools we could mention. Now just waiting for the Kent results.
P.s. you mentioned the website that 'dare not speak its name'. I think I know of that website and read it all the time for lots of useful information about Medway and Kent and there currently is a good article about the Medway results and the maximum score going up in Kent, enjoy.
Moostersmum

Post by Moostersmum »

Please give me a clue as to website you are referring to!!! ???? Please ***
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Google Kent + education advice. For some reason if we refer to it, the forum's filter blanks the name out !?!
skip202

Post by skip202 »

As Samlet has said this search should get you to the website. Good luck.

Also I was looking at SJW's over subscription criteria and it has distance in km in the Medway book. Is that right? Should it not be in miles (as was hoping it was a mis-print :-)!)
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

I'd check with the school. I'm afraid we never paid any attention to the distance criteria, as we are only about 1 mile away.

But I do know that they went out as far as Cobham for the present Yr 8.
skip202

Post by skip202 »

Thanks.
Pity as we are the other side of Meopham (New Barn) so I'm thinking that its a bit too far for their over subscription criteria? Unfortunately I think they say by safe walking route rather than straight line?:-( Hence the Chatham route.
Although found it easy to get to as DS took his test at Rochester Girls school and SJW'S is opposite. Anyway We intend to go to the Open Evening and have a look around and enquire anyway :-)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now