Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
confusedotcom

Decisions to make

Post by confusedotcom »

Hi all

Hope you can help us.

Our son has passed his 11Plus by 5 marks this was done with NO tutoring just running through a couple of test papers a few times prior to taking the test.

We have a very good academy school at the end of our road that is in the top 10% of the country.

He is a typical boy and would much prefer to play cricket,xbox or be out playing rather than doing homework.

Our dilema is if we send him to a grammer school will he struggle compared to those that passed with higher marks.
hermanmunster

Re: Decisions to make

Post by hermanmunster »

he is no more likely to struggle than any other child who has passed the test. I never got the scores of my kids - at that time you either passed or got given the score to consider appealing. Some people did ask for the scores but passing was quite enough. There will be loads who like cricket, xbox and sport at GS as there will be at university when he gets there, the truth is that bright people can manage a lot at once.

it sounds like you need to revisit the schools before you make your decision - particular if the academy is in the top 10% .. though I suspect it is tricky to be in the top 10% AND be non selective :?
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi confusedotcom! Congratulations to your son!

The research shows that grammar schools add the most value to those kids who are not especially high flyers. They are also good at supporting and developing 'boyish' boys, particularly important when the testosterone kicks in!

And he may well be even stronger academically than you suspect at this stage. I really wouldn't worry. I'm sure he will do very well at the grammar school.

He is very unlikely to have the peer example, peer stimulation or the peer support to fully blossom at the local academy.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

if he has passed the test then he is of grammar school standard, where does he want to go?
confusedotcom

Post by confusedotcom »

Thanks for you replies and helping to put our minds at rest

yoyo123 He wants to go to the Sir Joseph williams maths school
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Hi confuseddotcom

My DS is at the Math. They do loads of sport, including cricket and the place is full of very normal 'boy'-ish boys, my DS included. The homework eases in very gently and mine is very happy there (and he loves his sport and far too many computer games). :)
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

1. 5 marks might cover a *lot* of children. It is unlikely to only mean 5 children.

2. If he did that with no tutoring and minimal practice, he's clearly clever :) If he'd had loads of tutoring and practice and just scraped in, then you might worry. But even then, he'd probably still be fine - kids get into these schools from waiting lists every year and end up doing well.

3. If he wants to go to the grammar, then let him :)
pof4

Post by pof4 »

Hi confusedotcom,

Firstly - congratulations, your ds is obviously bright. I think that children like yours are sometimes denied grammar places (or just scrape through) because of 'heavily tutored' children getting through. Some say you can train a child to pass an exam but you cannot train a child to be bright. You have two great options - try and find out more about each school, visit etc. If your ds is self-disciplined and confident he will probably do well at 'almost' any school. Good luck, I know which one I would choose though :wink:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now