recommended list of reading books

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nazim

recommended list of reading books

Post by nazim »

Hi,
Does anyone know of where I can get a recommended list of reading books for girls aged 6 to 12yrs for 11 plus preparation?

many thanks. :D
DC17C

Re: recommended list of reading books

Post by DC17C »

I have to say I have always let my DD read what she is drawn to rather than having a set list of books. She is now in Yr 7 in a GS so I must have done something right.
She does read a lot though without any need for encouragement- she uses the library a lot.
dams

Post by dams »

Agrees with DC17C. Let them to choose the books they want to read. You can encourage them to refer dictionary for new words.
sss

Post by sss »

Hi
My dd reads what she thinks she will enjoy - I think lists are not always a good idea. Kids will read what they want to. My dd is enjoying the David Walliams books in Year 6 although I suppose she should be reading Classics etc......but as long as she is reading, that's the main thing!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My dd discovered Jane Austen after reading the Twilight books
fingerscrossedx10

Post by fingerscrossedx10 »

To be honest my son was tutored for a year and his tutor said don't bog them down with reading so many classical books as they don't need it - indeed this year, English was a passage from a non-classical book that no parent/tutor/pupil would have been able to predict.

Yes the year before was Bleak House and Captain Corelli's Mandolin which is very hard but if they have a thorough english literature/language technique then they don't really need to read lists and lists of books that tutors presume will be in the 11 plus as somebody mentioned - it is the amount they read not what they are reading - it gives them an all round knowledge.

We didn't do go down the classics route and my son found the english hard but he found the VR very easy and had 10 mins to spare checking his answers - however this was his best paper.

I ordered lots and lots of The Official 11 plus practice papers from GL assessment as I knew this was his strongest and 50 percent. rided on it.

The codes he didn't like but as tutors say - there are only probably 5 of them - work out or move on or just guess. Don't leave an answer unanswered!!!

Hope that helps.

Different tutors of course do different things but that was my experience on the 11 plus 2012.

We await a week to find out.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now