Year 7 Induction Day

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Waddle

Year 7 Induction Day

Post by Waddle »

For all those parents worried about their child being the only one going to their chosen secondary school, some words of reassurance ...

My son is the only boy from his school going to Herschel (there is a girl going, but 'they don't count') and came home from today's induction day saying, I quote, 'I know about half the school already'. My somewhat surprised probing revealed ...

he knows a boy in Y9 who used to go to his primary
he plays in the same footie team as a boy in his form
he used to go to cubs with another boy in his form
his brother's friend in the Sixth form bid him a cheery hello
his brother's 'girlfriend' (Huh? First I knew of it) in Sixth form said 'hello baby brother'.

Anyway, clearly he felt welcome and certainly seems happy to realise he will know some people, even if 'half the school' is a slight exaggeration!

Hope everyone else's sons and daughters had a similarly positive experience.
SJ

Post by SJ »

My son had his induction day yesterday and said he had made a new friend whom he sat next to and he his description of him was" he's ever so clever mum". Needless to say he can't wait for September but is worried he won't be sa clever as everyone else.

Post by Guest »

A clever friend is very useful! He just needs to be clever enough to know who to ask for help....
stevew61

Re: Year 7 Induction Day

Post by stevew61 »

Waddle wrote: he knows a boy in Y9 who used to go to his primary
he plays in the same footie team as a boy in his form
Very re-assuring to hear, thanks. We had a similar experience, including "do you know so and so who used to go to my school five years ago and left". Children only need the slightest link to become instant friends. We have gone from knowing nobody to a dozen named friends in one short day. Could be a big xmas card list this year. :D :D

stevew61
LBSWM

Post by LBSWM »

Could be a big xmas card list this year.
Yes, stevew61, I hope you don't forget to put us on your list.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

LBSWM wrote:
Could be a big xmas card list this year.
Yes, stevew61, I hope you don't forget to put us on your list.
I will always remember my web friends who have helped "us" through the elevenplus roller coaster.

stevew61
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now