Just thinking!!! Help please x

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Moostersmum

Just thinking!!! Help please x

Post by Moostersmum »

I keep looking at the letter sent with DD results. She passed but her score for Extended writing was very poor. She only passed because VR & Maths high.

Can I ask for remark? She is pretty level in all subjects so to get this low mark was a shock.

Any advice welcome... Ta x
hermanmunster

Re: Just thinking!!! Help please x

Post by hermanmunster »

Is the school you are looking at allocating on distance or score? If it is distance then a lower than expected score in one bit will not matter provided she has done enough to pass overall.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

For what it is worth, my DD's English score was also much lower than I would have expected, it is usually her best subject and her teacher raves about her writing.

She enjoyed the subject and told me some excellent vocabulary which she had used, but got a very average score. I'm not going to do anything about it, because she got enough overall, but I am a bit curious. Can't go into any more details though, because of the later test.
stuffy

Post by stuffy »

snap, my dd i would say english is her best subject which is why i put her in for the medway test as a back up for kent test, when she told me what she had written etc i thought it sounded like she had done a great job, lengthy story, stuck to subject, good use of describing words, adjectives etc, then when results came in she scored 98, which was her worst score for her best subject???

so although surprised, just assumed she had a bad day and didn't write what they were looking for, overall her VR and Maths score were enough for a pass - but does make you wonder how they grade a written piece?
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

My thoughts exactly.
Moostersmum

Post by Moostersmum »

OMG! Neck on the line.... After careful consideration we have gone for review!

Her score was 76 and reading the info the lowest score she could get was 70! Not happy about this and we know our DD. She is a confident honest little girl and from what the school have said she has no issues with English so to get a score of 76 I felt something maybe wrong...

I'm not saying it's her strongest subject but only 6 marks above the lowest score........

The lady warned me that the mark could go up, stay the same or go down :(

They are reviewing it today and will call me later when it's done.

I do hope we've done the right thing... and not cut nose off etc etc etc

Thanks for all your comments - keeping me sane right now
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moostersmum

Post by Moostersmum »

Belinda wrote:I recall your DD was deemed selective wasn't she?

Her overall score can only go down by 12 marks (76 x 2 down to 70 x2) so it doesn't appear you have much to lose unless her overall score was just above the cut-off.

I have to say that 76 is very low and if very different to her normal level of work and 'standardisation' within the school setting then you are right to question it and get it checked.

Good luck. :wink:
Hi yes she passed with a score of 516 so we are really putting our necks on the line for this. My thinking though could she do any worse than 76! But I may eat my words on this :shock:

Belinda

Post by Belinda »

What was the cut-off mark?
:shock: I'm now wondering if you have put your neck on the line...

That can't have been an easy decision. Everything crossed for you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now