Independent Schools in Reading,Berkshire

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
harrow123

Independent Schools in Reading,Berkshire

Post by harrow123 »

Can some one please list me names of the Senior Mixed private schools in Reading

I found Leighton Park which is mixed and private

Any others ?

Reading Blue coat is boys though they take girls in 6th form
Abbey is girls
Queen Annes is girls

Any other mixed senior private schcools in Reading ?

Please share names along with your feedback if you have any idea how the school is like
Reading Mum

Re: Independent Schools in Reading,Berkshire

Post by Reading Mum »

Crosfields goes up to age 13 - was boys but has been taking girls for a couple of years now

St Josephs - was a girls convent school but has started taking boys and this goes up to 18.

For both of these I suspect the move to mixed was driven by falling enrollment numbers.

Leighton Park is a mix of day and boarders so offers long standard days and the option to do adhoc overnights (for a fee). Lovely grounds - we use the holiday club there. Was founded by Quakers I think. Quite pricey IMHO

I can't think of any others actually in Reading
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

Reading Mum wrote:Crosfields goes up to age 13 - was boys but has been taking girls for a couple of years now

St Josephs - was a girls convent school but has started taking boys and this goes up to 18.

For both of these I suspect the move to mixed was driven by falling enrollment numbers.

Leighton Park is a mix of day and boarders so offers long standard days and the option to do adhoc overnights (for a fee). Lovely grounds - we use the holiday club there. Was founded by Quakers I think. Quite pricey IMHO

I can't think of any others actually in Reading
Thanks , St Josephs is half a price to Leighton park and cheaper than some private primary schools.. wow

Leighton park follows Quakers values and they are interesting values, never heard of them but sounds to be good

Any positive/negative feedback on Leighton park's ethos or academics or sports or prep ?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Can't comment on LP as, despite it being less than a mile from my door, I do not know anyone with children there. Mind you I only know 1 boy at St Joe's and if he was a girl he would probably be at The Abbey.

on the basis of published results LP does a fair bit better than St Joe's apart from an anomolous low figure for Eng Bacc which suggests that they may do iGCSE or some other qual that doesn't count.

sports facilities much better at LP - they have huge grounds, lots of equipment etc but not a surprise since they have a fair number of boarders and they need to be doing something at the weekends. St Joe's is landlocked by housing and has much less open space. Both have a pool though. Take a look at the locations on googlemaps and you can clearly see the difference in real estate.

I would query just how many senior boys there are at St Joe's - I mostly see girls walking in
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Leighton Park was lovely - great pastoral system - a few years ago when my brother was there, assume it still is :-) I think it's the most expensive one in Reading. Only person I know with a daughter at St Joe's isn't entirely happy with it, bu t it was the lesser of two evils and her parents pay the fees! I've heard they're quite good for bursaries.
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

I've only heard positive comments about LP though I agree that the fees are somewhat prohibitive.
I don't know anyone at St Joseph's but they do have a new head this year, formerly deputy at Blue Coat, so it may well be changing.

Those are the only two mixed independent schools in central reading. But there are others in the surrounding areas, so it depends on where you live. Many independent schools run private coach services to quite a wide catchment - at a cost of course.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

cestlavie wrote:I've only heard positive comments about LP though I agree that the fees are somewhat prohibitive.
I don't know anyone at St Joseph's but they do have a new head this year, formerly deputy at Blue Coat, so it may well be changing.

Those are the only two mixed independent schools in central reading. But there are others in the surrounding areas, so it depends on where you live. Many independent schools run private coach services to quite a wide catchment - at a cost of course.

Thanks
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

Currently Leighton park school offers following subjects in GCSE

CORE: English, Maths, Briefs and Values (RS), PE and Games(not examined), Your life(not examined) and CAS projects (Creativity, Action and Service)

OPTIONAL: Approaches to learning,Art and Design,Biology,Chemistry,Design Technology,Drama,English as a second language,French,Geography,German,History,Information Technology (EDCL qualification), Latin, Mandarin,Music,Physical Education,Physics,Spanish and Textile Design

My worry is that, generally CORE contains 2 or 3 Sciences in most of the schools but here it is not the case though they can be taken from optional route.

Is this something I need to bother?

Also, English Literature and Additional Mathematics are neither in CORE nor in Optional. Will it impact if child wants to do his/her graduation in Maths

PLEASE HELP
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I guess that explains the very low score for Eng Bacc
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

what does it mean ? please throw more details

According to

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/tea ... calaureate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , this says Engg bacc consists of English/maths/science etc but Leighton park core does not consist Science as core
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now