Watford Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
confidentdad

Watford Boys

Post by confidentdad »

My DS got 246. Can some one suggest if i can apply for watford boys?
AlisonR

Re: Watford Boys

Post by AlisonR »

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to apply to Boys grammar but I'm guessing you want to know your chances of being allocated a place come March 2013.

Looking at the Admissions Statistics thread on the sticky topic on the front page of this forum (which has the minimum scores needed for a place in recent years) I'd say you stand a very good chance if you live in the inner area but a much slimmer chance if you live in the outer area.

To see whether you live in the inner or outer area I refer you to the admissions pages of the boys grammar as this is determined by your postcode. Note that page also contains a link to the details of the minimum scores required in recent years.

http://www.watfordboys.org/index.php?op ... &Itemid=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alison
RationalityRules

Re: Watford Boys

Post by RationalityRules »

confidentdad - Alison has replied with a very helpful post. I would add that, in the inner catchment area, it seems unlikely that 246 won't secure you a place at WGSB. If you live in the outer area, you should still apply but have a good plan B and be prepared for a wait even after March while the school work out who has accepted a place and how far down the list they can offer. The most important part of that wait (to my mind) will be managing your son's expectations and hopes about where he goes. Uncertainty is hard for adults to manage, and harder for children, but easier with lots of loving support.

Anecdotal evidence suggests this year is a low birth year and that may help with lower scores/further distances being offered than last year's millennium baby boom year. Of course, to counteract that there is the economic crisis and the likelihood of more applicants from the independent school system, particularly to the grammar schools.

246 is a fantastic score and your son should be very proud of his achievement - well done!

Very best of luck as the months go by. RR.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now