Our of county

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stuffy

Our of county

Post by stuffy »

DD passed Medway test score 524, now problem is we live faversham way, obviously hoping for Kent test pass but if don't get that would rather send her to Medway grammar and commute - I work in gillingham

Do you know which school is my best bet? I'm thinking rainham mark is that a possibility or will distance go against us, how do they allocate out of area places ?

Naively also hope a Medway pass will help us with appeal to either QE or Barton court - am I just deluded on this though will they not care? And only take a Kent pass

Stressing and trying to think
Of all my options
monstermum

Re: Our of county

Post by monstermum »

I too live in Kent and am looking at Medway as my DD passed Medway. We are looking at RGS and Rainham Mark as both take on score and are doable on a bus. With a score 524 on recent history you should be able to get into both. Another option is Chatham Girls - not possible for us due to the journey. The other schools go on distance and so we are too far away. Hope that helps. We will be more than happy with a Medway school so won't appeal. If you appealed I'm sure a pass in Medway will help. Wait until the results and then if needed you can post on the appeals section where they will know more. Good luck for Wednesday - not too long now!
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Rainham Mark allocate on scores, so you should be fine stuffy. I just checked and the lowest score they offered last year was 505 (which I think was last year's pass mark). Btw the open evening is tomorrow.

Chatham Girls is another option for you, despite its name it is really in Gillingham - top of Chatham hill on the A2, so it might be convenient. They are undersubscribed so you'd get in there despite the distance.

Can't help on the appeal question except that surely it must be evidence of a high level. But hopefully you won't need it :D

Snap Monstermum, you beat me to it!
stuffy

Post by stuffy »

Thank you for quick reply keep thinking as we now have decided not to view non selective schools going to end up regretting it as wasn't entirely sure how they allocated to those who passed out of county

Madness will be do glad when it's all over x
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

:D Samlet.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

We aren't looking at non- selectives now which I keep remembering and smiling about :D
stuffy

Post by stuffy »

Keep thinking in sOme way that's wrong I also wonder people's opinions on how far from home is too far for school? Don't want her living miles away from her school friends, but also appreciate this could happen anywhere now adays

Off to rainham mark Saturday now fingers crossed can be plan c x
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

It's not that far. There are people living in outlying villages who have 40+ minute bus journeys to school and virtually no possibility of meeting up with friends after school.

And people on this site considering a child coming out to Kent from London - which I know already happens in at least two cases.

Rainham to Faversham on the train would be - what 20 minutes? And you might not want her to do it at first, but later on?
stuffy

Post by stuffy »

yes and daddy lives in rainham too, so spends time there at weekends - all these plans to make / think about, yet still don't know the outcome

think thats the worse part am in limbo just like everyone else

on the bright side our local comp a bit of a dump so wont have to send her there!
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

On the upside you know you can get a selective school that isn't too far from home, but is also near to your work - which in case of illness, etc would actually be easier than a school in Faversham.

It's tough making these decisions, but they are all good schools, so they are nice decisions to make :D

I think it all becomes a bit clearer once you have been to visit, then you will have a feel and can weigh various pros and cons of schools versus journey etc, etc.