Fabulous pastoral care

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
neveragain*

Fabulous pastoral care

Post by neveragain* »

We have had a very sad week, with some shocking news.
My DS started at Crypt this year.....and I wanted to share how very very supportive they have been of both my DS and of us as a family.
I couldn't be happier with the system of pastoral care, I feel they really understand how young an 11 year old boy really is, and teachers have contacted me personally to add assurances that they will take care of him.
Having experienced other secondary schools, I have to say the care has been outstanding,
I am so pleased we made the choice to send DS to Crypt.
I know when we were considering schools it was anecdotal evidence I was looking for, so hoping this may be helpful to some people who will be making choices soon.
I am sure lots of school are fabulous at pastoral care, and lots of parents will share that, I am simply sharing our current experiences.......and shouting out for our school!
Stressed?Moi?

Re: Fabulous pastoral care

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

neveragain* wrote:We have had a very sad week, with some shocking news.
My DS started at Crypt this year.....and I wanted to share how very very supportive they have been of both my DS and of us as a family.
I couldn't be happier with the system of pastoral care, I feel they really understand how young an 11 year old boy really is, and teachers have contacted me personally to add assurances that they will take care of him.
Having experienced other secondary schools, I have to say the care has been outstanding,
I am so pleased we made the choice to send DS to Crypt.
I know when we were considering schools it was anecdotal evidence I was looking for, so hoping this may be helpful to some people who will be making choices soon.
I am sure lots of school are fabulous at pastoral care, and lots of parents will share that, I am simply sharing our current experiences.......and shouting out for our school!
Really sorry to hear you have had bad news neveragain; we've had a grim week too so know where you're coming from. I have heard so many good reports about Crypt's pastoral care; it seems to be high on their priorities. I would like to "big up" dd's school (Ribston) and cannot fault the empathy and support she has received. I wish my school had been like it "in my day".
Amber

Post by Amber »

And while we are here...
In case anyone has this worry over STRS (I did, as the parent of kids with a history of being bullied), fear not. I have to say it takes a lot to impress me in the pastoral care department and I have been no less than stunned by the amazing pastoral care at Tommies - needed it on 2 occasions. Really amazed to have staff contacting us over the weekend, handling delicate situations with astonishing sensitivity and following up on them too.

I do think many schools are really sharp on this now, but good to know that grammars, which often don't have the best of reputations for looking after the welfare and emotional needs of students, appear to be stepping up to the plate too. :D

And big sympathies to anyone who is 'in need' of school pastoral care atm. There are fewer worse situations for a parent than to send a child into school knowing that it isn't happy. Very hard. Stay strong; it will get better.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Thank you for the feedback - it is reasurring to hear. I have been lucky enough not to have to deal with any pastoral issues with DD at Ribston.
DD has really settled in and made some friends and has her first party invite. She enjoyed Croft Farm. We have worked out she can go to the library after school on Tues/Wed/Thurs which she likes and I can pick her up when I finish work. She has also joined the Yr 7 Dance Club and is doing the Target Drama classes.

Pastoral care has been fab at the primary school my DC have attended - DS is quite a sensetive soul and looks older than he is as he is tall. We just need those results now...........
Ginnie71

Post by Ginnie71 »

As someone trying to learn all they can about Gloucestershire grammars, this kind of information is as important to me as the academic stuff - no, it's more so. So thanks for taking the trouble to post here, Neveragain, especially as you are still in the midst of the sad week. I echo Amber's comments. Very best wishes to you and your family.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Thank you all. Just to be clear the sadness is family events not school. It is awful sending my baby (!) off sad but I do feel he will be looked after there, and better there today than with me here today as I am numb and in shock. Can hardly think. Thanks again for support....
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I guess reading my post back reads that I though the issues were at school- I can see your issues are to do with family "Neveragain"and are reporting on DS's school being supportive. It is such a big help when school is aware and supporting your DS through a sad time. Big Hugs to you.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Not at all DC - just read mine back and wasn't sure I'd been clear enough! Thank you for kind words. X
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now