Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sports

Failed - is it worh appealing

Post by Sports »

Son just failed by one point 216 ...is it worth appealing

He is a sept child which did not help

how do I go about this?

devastated ...though I started late 3 months before the exam...
hermanmunster

Re: Failed - is it worh appealing

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Sports - sorry to hear that you were one mark short, there is lots of info here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; about appealing - you need to look at non qualification appeals and also any info you have been sent with the marks
prejudiced

Post by prejudiced »

Hi sports - I am one of many silent users of this website. Logged in to post a reply to your query. If I were you I would not have worried too much. Since your DS scored 216 (while the passmark is 217), he will get an opportunity as many of the students who have been deemed 'SELECTIVE' would not accept the offer. We hope that our son (received 276 -136+140) will get offers from our higher preference schools. This is the first result we have received and hence..... Hope it helps.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

prejudiced, congrats on your son;s result. Unfortunately Sport's DS can only get a place at a selective school if they appeal, if they are successful he would be considered to be eligible for a selective school - it won;t happen automatically just because some others don't take up places.
Victoriapoggins

Post by Victoriapoggins »

Oh Dear, DD has also failed - although I hate to use that word. She's worked very hard indeed & I'm extremely proud of her. I'm anxiously awaiting her & DH's return & wanted to ensure we break the bad news in a positive way.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't hugely disappointed. I never expected a top 180, but did think she would be deemed selective. She has 1a banding result & G&T for literacy.

Have run the school to set up meeting with Head to discuss possible appeal. We've decided we won't tell her of this though, don't want her feeling any more pressure.
:(
prejudiced

Post by prejudiced »

hermanmunster- sorry I did not know that and should not have tried to offer false hope.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It is complicated, prejudiced, with various different systems around the country :? - some do go down the list by score allocating places to the highest first - real problem with that is trying to guess where the cutoff is going to be!

Bexley / Bromley (&N Yorks, Lincs, Bucks and some of Kent ) have a selective / non selective split where the oversubscription for a school is mainly determined on distance
shahinoor

Post by shahinoor »

Sports - appeal ;

bear in mind 216 for 3 months preparation is excellent score....if you are not successful
than go plan B secondary school and push to get your son in the top set....

It is not the end of the world........remember GCSEs are the only tests that really matter
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

hermanmunster wrote:prejudiced, congrats on your son;s result. Unfortunately Sport's DS can only get a place at a selective school if they appeal, if they are successful he would be considered to be eligible for a selective school - it won;t happen automatically just because some others don't take up places.
It had happened automatically before. I know a girl in year 10 Townley who did not pass or deemed selective, I cannot remember the marks but she was offered a place in August. She had even bought blackfen girls uniform, looking forward to start in September before she was offered a place. This is without appeal.

Sport,
1st put the name of the Grammar schools of your CAF form, then after that you can now appeal in March but make sure you get a very good support and reference from your headteacher especially on character, academic performance especially if he is very good in Maths and working at level 5. You have to convince the panel why you want him to go to that particular Grammar school.
carolathome

Post by carolathome »

Dear Sports
I know exactly how you feel, the system is just awful. I really feel an appeal when even so close to the pass mark is futile. So few places in Grammar schools really. As you can see the schools take children on and above pass mark from well outside Bexley, if it were places were left, unlikely as it would be then the schools would accept children near to pass mark. How you get put on a waiting list for this I am unsure.