A pass for LRGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lancashirelad

A pass for LRGS

Post by lancashirelad »

Just thought I would post ,my son has passed the 11+ for LRGS,chuffed to bits.We went through a couple of books from WH Smiths for a week before, under as little pressure as possible.No paid tutoring,so if you think your child can pass ,give it a go.We are out of area(just) but my son really wanted to go and tried his best(they have a very good rugby team,and he loves his rugby.) :D
janet71

Re: A pass for LRGS

Post by janet71 »

Congrats it must be such a relief, now for the next hurdle of getting a place good luck.
LGGSmumofhope

Post by LGGSmumofhope »

Well done! We got into LGGS.
panicmum

Post by panicmum »

Congrats to your DC's, where still waiting over in Yorks....
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

Thanks for the replies.Sorry but I meant he was offered a place.Good luck to all!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

:oops: actually the offer of places doesn't take place until March 2013 ... what have they actually said?
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

The letter says:I am pleased to inform you that he reached the required standard in the tests,and in accordance with Lancashire County Council's Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme,we have informed LEA that we are willing to accept him as a day pupil at LRGS from Sept 2013.We understand that the LEA will allocate him a place here if your Common Application Form states that you put LRGS as your first choice..
I have already put the form in for the LEA with LRGS as first choice.
I think I am correct but please correct me if I am wrong.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

http://www.lrgs.org.uk/sites/default/fi ... ea-map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You said you are out of area but letter sounds a bit like in area ?? Are you on the map?

The admission policy says:
Catchment Area
Traditionally the School has drawn its day pupils not only from Lancaster but also from places
further afield within travelling distance.
a) Ordinary day places
Boys who reside within the boundaries of the City of Lancaster (see map) at the time of
application will be given priority of entry. The highest priority will be given to looked
after boys and previously looked after boys.
b) Residual day places
Places may also be offered to those residing outside the City of Lancaster after the needs of
those residing within the City have been met. The highest priority will be given to looked
after boys and previously looked after boys.
In both of these categories, boys must achieve a minimum level on all three papers consistent with
their ability to access a grammar school curriculum. Pupils are ranked in order based on their
aggregate score across the three tests. Places are offered in accordance with this ranking.
Can see that they would be able to almost guarantee a place in area but not out of area yet UNLESS there are really really low numbers in area??
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

My nephew was offered a place last October in the same manner. It was a guaranteed place even though he was just out of area (Arnside) as long as the CAF form listed LRGS in first place. I think the OOA boys were ranked by score a bit like Altrincham Boys Grammar and the highest scorers get any remaining places.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

CarpeDiem wrote:My nephew was offered a place last October in the same manner. It was a guaranteed place even though he was just out of area (Arnside) as long as the CAF form listed LRGS in first place. I think the OOA boys were ranked by score a bit like Altrincham Boys Grammar and the highest scorers get any remaining places.
sounds like that is what must be happening ... better if they just drew a map with more areas on it!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now