SGHS test - tough one?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
andy from embsay

SGHS test - tough one?

Post by andy from embsay »

Just back from SGHS with daughter #2 - she thinks it was "ok" but it sounds like it was a toughie. Didn't finish VR or maths, English was ok. Looks like she'll have had to get pretty much every question right that she did to get through.

Having been fairly confident beforehand OH and I are now convinced she'll fail and we'll be into appeals etc.
hermanmunster

Re: SGHS test - tough one?

Post by hermanmunster »

Andy, am sure there are many who will have felt the same and after all, they are all sitting the same exam and in the same boat......

.in pasing ... there did look like a lot there though, we live v near and there was more or less gridlock and some bizarre efforts at parking !
andy from embsay

Yes - on reflection from what she's told us it looks like she could be on for 70-75% ish in the ones she didn't finish (she tends to get questions right, just not always that quickly) and probably better than that in English, which should be ok. One of her friends who's of similar ability didn't finish everything so perhaps it was a tricky set of papers. She's also young in the year which helps a bit. Eldest only finished one paper out of 4 (she's Y8 now) and got the top mark in her school, so perhaps all will be well.

As to how many were there I guess there's usually about 180 in the local area - add all of those to the out of area kids and you could be looking at 3-400?
andy from embsay

Re: SGHS test - tough one? - RESULTS!

Well the girls' school results are arriving today. Good news for us so tears from mum, and a request for milkshake and ear piercing from daughter. Most of her mates seem to have passed too, so whilst it seems to have been a tough test the ones we expected to get through seem to have done so.

Cue several months of winding up eldest daughter about having younger sibling following her round school all day...

Hope everyone else gets what they hope for - we've now run out of children to do the 11+. Anyone know a good A-Levels forum...?
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Congratulations!
If only the boys school were so organised. They had the test at the beginning of Sept and no results due until the end of next week. There seems to be a lot to be said for organising the tests in house!
I am hopeful that DS's friend has also passed for SGHS, will find our on Monday at school.
Vic x
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Congratulations Andy. :)
hermanmunster

Re: SGHS test - tough one? - RESULTS!

Post by hermanmunster »

andy from embsay wrote:Well the girls' school results are arriving today. Good news for us so tears from mum, and a request for milkshake and ear piercing from daughter. Most of her mates seem to have passed too, so whilst it seems to have been a tough test the ones we expected to get through seem to have done so.

Cue several months of winding up eldest daughter about having younger sibling following her round school all day...

Hope everyone else gets what they hope for - we've now run out of children to do the 11+. Anyone know a good A-Levels forum...?

Well done Andy!! - remember even if it is tough, the same percentage will get places :roll: . as for A level forum - we have GCSE / sixth form and beyond on here .. after that it is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk where parents bravely tread (icognito and advisedly with their fingers in their ears..)
andy from embsay

Ta - very relieved, especially as it sounded like the appeal process wasn't going to kick in til after 1 March.

Looks like Embsay's got about six or seven out of ten that took the test in, so that suggests that the school's stated objective of getting more local girls in (which I must say I was a bit cynical about) seems to have worked.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

andy from embsay wrote:Ta - very relieved, especially as it sounded like the appeal process wasn't going to kick in til after 1 March.

Looks like Embsay's got about six or seven out of ten that took the test in, so that suggests that the school's stated objective of getting more local girls in (which I must say I was a bit cynical about) seems to have worked.

to take more local girls they would have had to drop the passmark, which is not the vibes I am getting from the new regime at all!.
Suspect Embsay has done v well this year, no doubt there will be other school with 0 or 1 passes in the class - DD was at a school that got 66% pass rate (2/3 :lol:)
andy from embsay

I work with one of the governors and he says that is one of their objectives - but as you say unless they think dropping NVR and bringing in maths and english will make it easier for non-tutored local kids to get in, the only thing to do is reduce the standard, which I agree they're unlikely to do.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now