Pass marks-completely confused!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Me123456789

Pass marks-completely confused!

Post by Me123456789 »

I do not understand the King Edward's grammar schools pass marks at all. Is the higher the mark better or lower, sorry I must sound really stupid to everyone here as you all seem to know so much! :oops:
hermanmunster

Re: Pass marks-completely confused!

Post by hermanmunster »

Which KE GS are you looking at ? the results for the Birmingham KE GS aren't out yet.

On the whole if it is a score it is a case of the higher the better - if a rank them the lower the better
Me123456789

Post by Me123456789 »

I'm talking about the Birmingham schools. So for the scores they are going to send to us the higher the better?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there is a useful sticky here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =11&t=7148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on the birmingham scores
Me123456789

Post by Me123456789 »

hermanmunster wrote:there is a useful sticky here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =11&t=7148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on the birmingham scores
Thanks, :)
josh sen

Post by josh sen »

We don't know what will be on the KE paper .If it is rank,the lower the rank the better if it is score,the higher the score the better..
I understand the nervousness...LOL..I am too..
Remember the ranking will be affected by DCs that would have qualified for more than two schools..
um

Post by um »

The Birmingham consortium (KE Grammars, Bishop Vesey, Sutton Coldfield girls) have said that parents will receive their child's standardised score.

I would be very surprised if they also included a ranking as with so many Grammars in one area, it could become far too confusing.

The sticky (link above) details the 'last standardised scores in' for the past few years.

The exam scoring system changed slightly in 2010 so since then, the overall marks have comprised of two elements; Maths/NVR and English skills, with the 'average' being about 100 each.
This is why the consortium have said that parents will receive the past two years' 'last scores in' data as part of their letter.
If you look at the years before that, the scores are a third higher (it was a 3-way system of Maths/NVR/English and therefore cannot be compared.
KenR

Post by KenR »

The exam scoring system changed slightly in 2010 so since then, the overall marks have comprised of two elements; Maths/NVR and English skills, with the 'average' being about 100 each.
This is why the consortium have said that parents will receive the past two years' 'last scores in' data as part of their letter.
If you look at the years before that, the scores are a third higher (it was a 3-way system of Maths/NVR/English and therefore cannot be compared
If you look at the last candidate pass scores in the sticky I have added an extra line in parentheses giving the average standardised score for each section or paper so you can see the trend.

As um says - multiply by 2 for the last 2 years and 3 for years before that to get the actual required min score.

I doubt they will give a rank, probably far to complicated for the KE grammars and consortium school - for girls you could have a rank of 700+ and still get in - but less for boys
Bibbygunn

Post by Bibbygunn »

I agree the Sutton girls is very confusing compared to QM where if you got in the top 112 you were informed you have a place. I assume that if your child is well above the last years minimum (c 20 points) intake then there is a good chance that they will get a place ? Is this everyone's understanding ?
Sean_uk

Post by Sean_uk »

Hi

Could someone explain whether we're allowed to put Sutton GS on our CAF - the LEA website has totally confused me by iterating that a separate application must be made to Sutton. Does that mean the Sutton exam was different? My Dd took her exam at Handsworth - her overall mark is 228. I know that this is above the cut-off for CHGs which is her preference but we wondered if it was 'safe'.
My suggested CAF list is as thus and I would appreciate any thoughts / comments that may transpire.

1. CHGs
2. KEHandsworth
3. Sutton
4. QM gs
5.Five Ways
6. Local comprehensive??

One further question please, if we were to put her forward for the KE High School (Edgbaston) how do we reflect this on the CAF (if indeed we do)?

Thanks for your help.

Regards
S
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now