Travel from Shenfield to CRGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RDDad

Travel from Shenfield to CRGS

Post by RDDad »

I would appreciate any information regarding travel from Shenfield to CRGS. How difficult or easy it is?
Minesatea

Re: Travel from Shenfield to CRGS

Post by Minesatea »

I can't comment on the train journey but I will tell you about the Colchester end.

CRGS is not close to Colchester North station. It is a 15-20 minute walk up a fairly step hill with heavy traffic. Most children coming by train into Colchester, then bus into the town centre, there is a very frequent service from the road behind the station. CRGS is easily walked from the High street and most boys do, however if you use the no. 65 bus service this will take him to the Essex county hospital which is almost next door (but takes longer than getting off at the High street and walking!). He would need to be at Colchester North by about 8:10 to give him time for the journey.

The main problem arises in the evening as CRGS is last on the bus pick up route after CCHS, an indie and the Catholic high school and so the first buses are often full and don't stop to pick the boys up :(

If you are serious about applying I would try the journey yourself one school day morning.
Suresh

Post by Suresh »

I know a child from my DS class who takes the train which passes through Shenfield and comes to Colchester Town station and then walks from there to school ( Its 0.6 Miles from Colchester town station to the CRGS school gate.) Hope this gives some idea.
bravado

Post by bravado »

Minesatea wrote:I can't comment on the train journey but I will tell you about the Colchester end.

The main problem arises in the evening as CRGS is last on the bus pick up route after CCHS, an indie and the Catholic high school and so the first buses are often full and don't stop to pick the boys up :(

If you are serious about applying I would try the journey yourself one school day morning.
I would also add to that, the fact that the 65 will have also have already picked up children from Stanway School before it gets to the schools along the Lexden Road area - so, even more "chocka" buses.
I appreciate that everyone's different and the walk from the station (North Station) to CRGS may be totally acceptable and do-able for some. All I'd say, is that I'm pretty hardy and love walking in all weathers but I wouldn't fancy that walk in the biting cold, or with rain pelting down, with a ton of books at my age, let alone when in Yrs 7 - 10.
Last edited by bravado on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Most trains from London do not go to Colchester Town station. You would have to change at Colchester North.
bravado

Post by bravado »

I'd totally agree with minesatea and strongly recommend that anyone contemplating this for their DC's, do the journey themselves on at at least 3 occasions at rush-hour times. I'd heartily recommend doing it on a day when torrential rain is forecast and also a day when icy conditions prevail..don't forget your satchel lol!
I have no idea why but on rainy days, Colchester gets more log-jammed than many other towns I've lived in. This also means that buses get stuck in traffic - potentially causing issues with train connections. North Hill (65 bus route to the station) has become absolutely awful of late, with innumerable buses sadly "stuck" and when they do move, they do so at a lethargic snail's pace :lol:
JWMUM

Post by JWMUM »

Totally agree with all above - but don't forget the return journey. After school clubs are an important part of senior school. If DCs come out at 5ish - what is the return journey like? What time will DC be getting home?
Also, don't forget the amount of stuff they need - instruments, sport kit bags etc.
I had an hour long bus journey each day to and from school. I was frequently exhausted, always head-achy, and homework always felt that little bit harder than it prob was.
I anticipate lots of people will take this in their stride - just adding my personal experience.
Somewhere on the forum is a thread where another parent questioned this - and it all became a little defensive. Very tricky one and probably no 'one answer' as all DCs different.
But I hated it - and wouldn't wish it on my DS. Sorry. :|
toolate

Post by toolate »

I keep hearing rumours of kids that ended up dropping out after a term or so, once reality dawns of the years of nightmare commute ahead. Be interesting if anyone had real experience of this, as all I've heard is anecdotal.
crgsmum

Post by crgsmum »

I don't think that happens at CRGS. The only one I heard of was a boy in this year's year 9 who lived in Billericay. CRGS was very much a second choice for this family and they took him out and home tutored him until he finally got a place at KEGS this year. I know that the only boys who left this year's year 8, 9 and 10 did so for reasons other than the journey.

I don't think that too many boys at CRGS have horrendous journeys though and the majority come from this side of Chelmford( if you are looking towards London from CRGS). I know that a lot of boys at KEGS have far worse journeys but have not heard that a significant number drop out and my understanding is that they very often have no spaces at all come up in year 7. It is interesting to note that their waiting list moves much much more than CRGS' does though and one reason for this might be that when faced with the actuality of the journey many parents decide not to accept a place after all.
RDDad

Post by RDDad »

Many Thanks for extremely useful information and advise. I was wondering if anyone has personal experience of DC traveling from Shenfield/Brentwood to CRGS.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now