How, when and to whom?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Juniper

How, when and to whom?

Post by Juniper »

Dear all,

My daughter will be able to take the 11+ in around two years.

She would be an outside candidate, in other words will not naturally sit the 11+ in her educational setting. (Though we do live in the county of Bucks.)

Who do I apply to so that she can still take the 11+ with her cohort? When would we apply, and how?

If you have done this, please add your opinions of how it went for you, the process, not just the result. Or, if there is another thread that answers this query please direct me to it.

With many thanks for any help or information. :D
warm regards

J.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Juniper

Is the "educational setting" you refer to a state school or a private school?

If it is a state school, then she should be offered the test at school. If it is a private school then you contact Bucks Admissions in the summer term prior to the test to register her to sit it. The test can be administered by the school if they agree, or she can take the test at a central testing centre. That is usually a Bucks school or schools (depending on the number of entrants) and the tests take place during the October half term, so don't book a holiday!

The issue of children taking the test at other test centres has cropped up occasionally, but I can't recall an actual thread about it. A rough summary of the last 18 months worth of snippets is this.

There are always a fair number of children who sit the test outside of their own school, either because they come from out-of-county, from private schools or have missed one of the earlier testing dates at school. They seem to fare no worse than the rest of the cohort. Until a few years ago all 11+ tests were taken at Grammar schools, so outside the child's usual environment.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I should have added, to prevent confusion among other parents, that many private schools in Bucks are "Bucks Partner Schools", i.e. they administer the 11+ on behalf of Bucks just as a state school would. That includes sending out the registration forms in the summer term.

Only a few private schools are not "Partner Schools", and it is only for these that the parent will have to initiate the 11+ process by calling Admissions.

Sally-Anne
Juniper

Post by Juniper »

Thanks Sally-Ann speedy reply :D

Here's the thing, neither.

Sadly though she has been to both private and state schools in her short years,(both considered good, but that is another forum/thread), neither proved right for her. At least the state school did provide a "gifted and able" label, for what it was worth.

I'm not a "she is the brightest button in the bucket" type mother - honest, as she isn't. She just did not fit into either schooling system, with a confounding mixture of social maturity and being academically able accross the bredth of the curriculum, she was bored and taken advantage of in one and bullied and bored in the other.

We have had to take on the responsibility of her education ourselves with help from a few tutors. I think that her education is going along excellently for now.

But, and here is the reason for the question, in respect of the schooling system in Bucks, and her future life choices, I obviously do not want her to be disadvantaged. Should she get to 11 and want to choose a school as an option for her secondary level, then just like any child in the county I would be happier for her to have an opportunity to be tested for her 11+ or 12+.

So who would I have to apply to in the first instance? Could she sit the 11+ in her local primary school for example. What would be the timetable for application to the county or for any local schools to be able to accomodate her?

Would we basically be in the same position as other out of county 11+ applications?

Thank you for your interest, time and knowledge in answering my perhaps out of the norm question.

Warm regards,
J
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Juniper

Yes, you are in exactly the same position as an out-of-county applicant. All you need to do is get in touch with Admissions in the summer term before the 11+. The timeline for this year's 11+ is on Page 2 of this document, to give you an idea of how it works:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/get/asset ... idance.pdf

On the application form it asks for the name of your child's current school, and all you do is put "Home Educated".

She would sit the test at a Bucks primary school. The Misbourne and the Grove School at Aylesbury are both used for the 12+, but I don't know which schools are used for 11+ testing. You would simply be allocated a test centre by Bucks.

After I posted earlier I reflected on whether your child would really be at a disadvantage, not taking it within a school. I actually think that she is at an advantage, because she is spared all the nerves and hysteria that can go on in schools, and the competitive atmosphere.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Juniper

Post by Juniper »

Sally-Anne, thank you for your clarification.

Indeed, I note your comment on disadvantage regarding the setting. Our hope is that she would only take the 11+ in circumstances where she exercised her choice to do 11+ positively for her future options. Though she would equally be aware that it would have no impact on her future education if she so chose. Lucky girl! :)

Warmest regards
J
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

She may have to attend a sitting at County Hall -

Sally-Anne, 11+ tests have not been sat in Grammars schools since I have lived up here so you must be going back over 20 years!!
hugh

Post by hugh »

Sally-Anne wrote:Yes, you are in exactly the same position as an out-of-county applicant.
Yes, in terms of how you organise to apply for and sit the test etc.

However, because you actually live in Bucks, you have the crucial advantage of being in catchment for at least one grammar - and depending which ones, that could be almost as essential as passing 11+ to get a place.

Good luck. At least you're planning well ahead.
Y

Post by Y »

I sat the 12+ in 1976 - in my own primary - so that's 30 years! In fact, my sister sat it 3-4 years before that, in the same primary! Sally-Anne, you must be ancient!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Cheek!!!

I believe it was actually Etienne who posted that information some while ago .... :lol:

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now