Pescetarian/Vegetarian - ideas for children

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Pescetarian/Vegetarian - ideas for children

Post by doodles »

I am desperate for ideas for meals for my pescetarian/vegetarian 10yo son the rest of the family are confirmed carnivores but he hates meat and has done since being a baby and now he is a veggie/fish only eater.

I was really worried that he wasn't growing but I've just checked the centile charts and he is bang on the 50th centile for height and a bit over for weight so that's ok. It's just that food isn't his "thing" and he doesn't eat much. It's come to a head today as he went to a rugby tournament today with a nice packed lunch and most of it has come back uneaten.

Does anybody have any nice ideas tucked away. He eats eggs, cheese, quorn etc so he's not too fussy and is willing to try new things and I fear I am becoming a bit too reliant on pasta and pre-bought veggie options.

Thanks
yoyo123

Re: Pescetarian/Vegetarian - ideas for children

Post by yoyo123 »

Home made fish fingers?

My son used to like salmon . I dipped it in egg white whisked with some tomato puree, then in breadcrumbs and baked it in the oven. Had it with homemade wedges.

Spanish omelette?

Chickpea curry.

Veg curry
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

If he likes salmon, an individual piece cooks well in buttered tin foil (drop of lemon juice, pepper and a few veggies). It can be put in the oven alongside whatever the rest of the household are eating because the foil seems to stop the smell transfer!

fish pie (mine like sliced hard boiled eggs in theirs)

The quorn pieces curry well.

kedgeree
doodles

Post by doodles »

Salmon is my standby for him but I haven't done fish fingers which sound rather yummy - we will all have them I think - and I have not tried currying quorn pieces which also sounds very yummy.

Thx.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Salmon in a foil parcel drizzled with sweet chili sauce is my DD's favourite. Just bake for 20 mins.

Macaroni cheese,
Homemade pizza,
Homemade quiche,
Veggy fajitas with all the trimmings - guacamole, cheese, salsa etc.
doodles

Post by doodles »

What do you put in veggie fajitas .... not as stupid as it sounds? Do you use peppers? Anything else?

You lot are reminding me how lax I've become and what I used to whisk up when in the first flush of embracing veggie motherhood :lol: :lol: but there are some great new ideas too so keep them coming please.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

In the veggie fajita's - onions, peppers, mushrooms. Or I guess any favourite veg that can be stir fried. Really tasty!
la boume

Post by la boume »

I do fish burgers at least once a week-either from salmon or cod.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

roast cherry tomatoes are lovely with the salmon fish fingers
doodles

Post by doodles »

Just eaten a full roast dinner and now reading all these great ideas has made me starving again. I actually did a Quorn roast for DS and he loved it - does anybody know where to get a really nice nut roast, Tesco seem to do nice roast alternatives but not a nut roast.