Good luck

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Blitz

Good luck

Post by Blitz »

Good luck to all those awaiting results tomorrow. Whatever the outcome, all our children have worked really hard and should be proud of themselves for sitting such a challenging exam at the age of 10.

I found this thread 'A tale of a girl' on the Buckinghamshire section which puts the results day into context. It's very moving.

"The tale of a girl.

November 2006

A father sits waiting in a car outside a primary school somewhere in buck’s, a 10 yr old girls runs frantically down the long drive of the school across the road and fumbles with the handle her red face etched with fear and excitement with a small envelope clutched in her hand.

‘I can’t open it she says, I know I’ve failed’

‘it’s not about passing and failing, and it doesn’t matter anyway as we have put lord bill’s first so it’s pretty irrelevant anyway’

‘you open it’

The father open the letter and reads the numbers, 2 numbers that he suddenly dreads will scar his girl for life “Sh**” what have they done why did they enter her for it, they had decided on the comprehensive anyway as they had all felt it suited her, ‘oh, cr**’

‘you did well he says lamely 118 and 114 not bad , you know as it didn’t matter probably you didn’t concentrate as much as you could don’t worry it’s not important’

The girl fall apart she cries she sobs she looks like the world has come to an end, then follows the worst few weeks; grandparents surprise, mean ugly comments from peers, and an overwhelming sense of failure and inadequacy not anything that a 10 yr old should face.

August 2012

A father sits waiting in a car outside a large state comprehensive, a 16 yr old girl runs excitedly between prefab classrooms, red faced and flushed

‘oh my god dad’ she squeals 10 a*s and an a in ICT ‘I can’t believe this’ ‘it’s so cool’ ‘dad do you remember the last time I had to do this with the 11 plus , that was the worse day of my life'

the father smiles hoping this will finally lay that ghost to rest."

Sorry could not work out how to link to this thread. Do check it out in the Bucks section.
campergirl

Re: Good luck

Post by campergirl »

Brought tears to my eyes.
Examinator

Post by Examinator »

Ditto
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Me too. Aaagh I have a year more of this at least and it is still overwhelming.

Good luck everyone tomorrow.
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
andreasnabor

Parents not schools boost exam success

Post by andreasnabor »

And here is some scientific evidence:

"Supportive parents do more than good schools to boost children's exam results, a study suggests. Parents who help with homework and attend school events can outweigh the effect of weak schools, according to researchers in America."

BBC, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19923891" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skenty

Post by skenty »

good luck to all DC's today....
dez

Post by dez »

Good luck to everyone waiting for 2013 CSSE result!! :)
bendyspatula

Post by bendyspatula »

Thanks for the good wishes. Whatever result we get later I know one thing this past year or so and the whole process has provided - lots of experience and hindsight to share with others on here and to possibly use for DD's future exams and for DS whatever path he takes.

I know I've not handled the psychological aspect of parenting a 11+candidate as well as I could have and know now what I would do differently if I had the chance to live 2012 again!

Is a mod going to provide a new post where we should upload our anonymised results later?
daydreamer_123

Post by daydreamer_123 »

Hi all,

This is my first post, been lurking for a while. Read a lot of posts, been a strange comfort knowing you're all going slightly mad too!

DD sat her 11+ on alternate date, longest wait in the world on the day and since. We d.i.y'd for the test - no matter what the result - I wouldnt take back the time I spent with her through the process - good days and stroppy ones! I'm hoping for the best, but prepared if it wasnt her day. I am so proud she tried.

Good luck to everyone waiting for their DC's results. x
skenty

Post by skenty »

I am going mad but just had a moment of clarity! In 2011 my DD was in intensive care following open heart surgery. The 11+ and gaining a GS place is important but in the grand scheme of things is nothing to the challenges we have already faced! The fact that 18 months after such an illness she worked so hard and was able to sit this exam makes me immensely proud of her - so whatever the outcome she's still amazing. I don't know which school she will get a place for but I know she will work hard and will have our support and encouragement. Roll on this afternoon and then we can all relax and try to make sense of the information we are given. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now