Is it crazy to turn down Pates?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sunflowers

Is it crazy to turn down Pates?

Post by Sunflowers »

Hi! Are we nuts if we turn down chance of Pates? I realize this is a fortunate dilemma to have. My DS is lucky to be in top 120 for Pates and Marling (which we live near and like a lot) - but, we are aware of Pates amazing reputation/results/statistics and have seen Pates looks great and also - noted the desire for it on this forum/felt forum not so keen on Marling?? My DS could get to Pates (with friends on bus-leaving home 7:10am) but we feel very happy with idea of Marling. Don't want to make a big mistake. - Does anyone have children at/know about both or have any thoughts on this? (Realize that others are keen to hear if any of 120 not going there.) Thanks!
lx3

Re: Is it crazy to turn down Pates?

Post by lx3 »

Very much in same situation. Daughter unexpectedly got into Pates. Always planned for HSFG as it's just down the road. Also, she really likes the idea of going there with her friends. After the results, have been looking into Pates and the practicalities of going there. Despite the transport costs, lack of friends going and daughter's limited enthusiasm, it really is a **** of an opportunity. Just done a pro/con list. Hasn't helped. Although it's more hassle and she won't know anyone, everything i've found out about Pates convinces me that in the long term it would give her a much broader range of opportunities and achievements.

Going to the open morning on Wednesday - see if that helps sway us in any particular direction. Feel very fortunate to have this decision but finding it quite stressful.
Orson

Post by Orson »

If your DC has made it into the Pates 120 they will/should achieve wherever they go.

Pates is fantastic and many would say you'd be crazy to turn them down but you need to consider all that goes with having a child at a school some distance away: the day to day travel, the longer day, after school clubs, the location of friends, etc. There are children going to Pates from Worcester, Bristol and Swindon but is that fair?
I know of two sisters and their brother who had offers from Pates; all of them opted for Marling/SHS - no regrets. The eldest is now in Pates' sixth form with truly outstanding GCSE results from SHS under her belt.

You're in a win/win situation. :wink:
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

I turned down pates for my DD for both entry at 11 and for sixth form.
I do think its a fabulous school, but my DD has certainly done brilliantly at GCSE and AS regardless. She at SHS.
She is a fairly big fish there, one of a couple of handfuls of really exceptional students and receives lots of opportunities etc because of that.
The debating at ShS and Marling amazing, both teams through to European Youth ParliAment European finals this year......SHs winning And marling runners up.
Go with your heart, and considering too the social aspects of a local school.....
Your DS will do well wherever he goes as such a bright bunny, and so supported.
Good luck.
X
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Sorry orson, cross posted! X
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Similarly to yourself if my children had wanted to go pates they would have had to be at bus for 7.10, whereas at SHS/marling they will just be getting up at 7:10. Add the same time to the back end of the day, and I would put the question the other way and ask are you crazy to be comtplating it?
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

Sunflowers wrote:Hi! Are we nuts if we turn down chance of Pates? I realize this is a fortunate dilemma to have. My DS is lucky to be in top 120 for Pates and Marling (which we live near and like a lot) - but, we are aware of Pates amazing reputation/results/statistics and have seen Pates looks great and also - noted the desire for it on this forum/felt forum not so keen on Marling?? My DS could get to Pates (with friends on bus-leaving home 7:10am) but we feel very happy with idea of Marling. Don't want to make a big mistake. - Does anyone have children at/know about both or have any thoughts on this? (Realize that others are keen to hear if any of 120 not going there.) Thanks!
You have the luxury of having a Grammar School at your door step. Few people are in the same position as yours. I would recommend not sending your DC to Pates as its too much of a commute for them.
mc41

Post by mc41 »

No. We turned down Pates last year. My daughter chose SHS and she is very happy there. It is closer to home and the school is fantastic.
Vio125

Post by Vio125 »

Hi lx3

We are in a similar situation as you. We were hoping for HSFG or Ribston - never thought our daughter would get into Pates (we told her she would not get in). Didn't go to the open evening this year for that reason. We live close to HSFG and my daughter could walk - she would also have more friends at HSFG. However, we too feel the same about the range of opportunities on offer at Pates/the facilities etc... and think we would be mad to turn the opportunity down. We have told our daughter that it's her decision because ultimately she has to be happy at school. Initially she was keen on HSFG, but we have gone through the differences/pros and cons and I think she is going to choose Pates - as there is a lot more on offer outside of the academic piece. We too are going on Wednesday to help in the decision making process. I also feel slightly embarrassed to be worried about this choice when there are so many others that are disappointed.........
stillhoping

Post by stillhoping »

We were in the same situation 3 years ago, DS wanted to go to Marling as it was the nearest school and he didn't want the long bus ride (1.5 hours extra travel per day), but DH wanted him to go to Pates, I swayed between the two. He went to Marling and is now in year 9 and we still think we made the right decison, he is happy and acheiving.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now