Uplifting story for those of us in need of some good news!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2outof3

Uplifting story for those of us in need of some good news!

Post by 2outof3 »

Whilst whiling away a couple of minutes reading about other people's good news on the forum, I came across "tale of a girl" posted by Tree on the Bucks forum (sorry but don't know how to post the link - if anyone knows how, would be great if they could stick it in here somewhere.)

It's a really fabulous and true story of Tree's daughter who didn't "pass the 11 plus six years ago but ended year 11 this year with a string of A*s at gcse.

It's really worth a read and will give reassurance to those of us who won't receive (or already haven't had :( ) the results we would have hoped for.

There is life after the 11plus (although it might not feel like it at the moment).

Good luck folks :)
Browser

Re: Uplifting story for those of us in need of some good new

Post by Browser »

I read that yesterday too.

Wasn't it lovely and very uplifting.
:)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The link is here for anyone wanting to take a read of it: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=27146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sgsgirl

Post by sgsgirl »

I have just read that post and it brought a tear to my eyes. A very inspiring story and just what we all need right now!
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

That is a lovely story and I am so pleased for the family involved. Quite rightly, that is one proud Dad! The description of 11+ day is awful though. Is Bucks an area where more children take the test and peer pressure at primary greater than it is here? Disappointment can be very raw in our region too but there is an acceptance amongst most parents that even a very able child might not pass for the London schools because of the sheer weight of numbers competing for places.

I would hope this isn’t a totally unusual story (not to diminish in any way the girl's fantastic achievement of course). There are too few Grammar school places for all the children who have the academic ability to warrant one. That is just a fact and therefore most comps receive their fair share of gifted Level 5 and Level 6 pupils - not to mention the children who, at age 10, haven't even started to show glimpses of the true potential they have. Those children do well wherever they go. Looking around the comps in previous years, so many of them had several students going off to Oxbridge every year and pupils with strings of A* at GCSE and all despite being situated within a couple of miles of a London grammar school where you’d assume such students would attend.

I think the positive message for those who don’t get the results they are hoping for this week is that most of us live in an area where only the top few % will get a grammar school place and as a result, any children of selective ability who fail to do so will not be discouraged or let down at other schools.
3HMum

Post by 3HMum »

Hi All,

I think it's a brilliant story. And one that I should tell my DD about too; she is still in tears when she is asked or remembers that she did not make it to WGS.

But she is a strong girl with a love to learn and I am sure her story will inspire one day too.

Well done young-Tree, you are an inspiring star.

Well done to those who made/will make it too,

:wink:
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Love the little quote - Cream always rises to the top!

Above all else I would say to anybody who is trying these tests that the purpose of the tests is to determine whether or not your child and the selective schools are a fit. You may believe that you know the answer to that, and if your child is unsuccessful it is something to be mourned. It so is not. A child that does not make it into the selectives would 99.99% of the time be in the wrong place had they gone. And they may well have been very miserable. A happy child succeeds. And a bright happy child will do very well indeed.

The selectives select a specific type of child, who will generally be very happy in that environment, but the tests are certainly skewed towards certain skill sets. This skill set is not the only one on which the ability of your child should be measured, but it is the one that the selective schools are most adept at enhancing.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Well said Three kids!

My daughter did dismally on her recent stage one VR and NVR tests for the only grammar school in our area but she is an exceptional musician, is well liked and happy at her current school and is working towards level 5 in both Maths and English. I am pleased it is one less decision we will have to make and have no doubt her positive attitude and hard work will bring her all the success she deserves in life, without the competitive and angst-inducing atmosphere along the way. The grammar would clearly not have been the right environment for her senior schooling.

She had a positive experience of the testing day and felt she did her best and thankfully she is not bothered about not getting in. Phew!