Bullying at School

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Worried_Parents

Bullying at School

Post by Worried_Parents »

Hello,

My son came home yesterday and said he is being bullied by a girl in his class at school and started crying. I asked him what and how, he tells me the girl calls him a minger, and once has used the word "brown minger". I asked him if she only picks on him or on others as well. Apparently, the girl picks on anyone and everyone, and does single my son out. I have asked my wife to see his class teacher and sort the issue out.

Question: What response should I be satisfied with from the school? Is it bullying or plain ignorance on the girls part, her family social standing isn't that great, without sterotyping or offending anyone, several kids by several partners etc, etc. Which shoudln't be attributal to her attitude and behaviour.

My son is quite a sensitive lad and wouldn't want this to impact his schooling, he is only 8 years old.

Thank you.

Post by Guest »

I am sorry to hear this, hope works out.
Suzy

Post by Suzy »

Hi,
The school need to nip this in the bud. The fact that your child is upset by it is reason enough for the school to take it seriously and deal with it. It could be difficult to find the right balance when addressing it as they could make it worse. I sincerely hope not. Unfortunately, I feel it's a fact of life that some children can be very cruel. I really hope you get this sorted out.
Sue
chad

Post by chad »

Hi

I would highlight the issue as soon as possible (in writing) making sure you are in contact with the correct person who will be dealing with it. Emphasise that, although your son realises he is not the only one that is suffering from the comments made by the girl, he feels he is being targeted and is becoming upset by the quantity of abuse.
The response from the school should be to acknowledge wether they already knew there was a problem, say how they are/will deal with the issue and ask you to keep in touch if the strategies are not working. If it increases or there is no change then you should approach the school again.
This is only from personal experience. I have mentioned putting it in writing (an e-mail will do) because once it is in writing then there is a record of the issue being a concern.

Post by Guest »

Dear worried_parents

See also my response to your post in SATS KS2