Thinking of an appeal - help please!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Artemis1

Thinking of an appeal - help please!

Post by Artemis1 »

Hi All,

Newbie here - please be kind!

Firstly, congratulations to every family whose DCs got the results they wanted and deserved this week.

We didn't :( , so hence my question:

Does anyone have any idea what the lowest score was last year that ended up in a successful appeal to Ribston? I realise that the appeal takes much more into account than that, but just wondering really if there's a threshold below which it isn't worth appealing?

Any advice gratefully received.
Papa1

Re: Thinking of an appeal - help please!

Post by Papa1 »

Artemis1 - sorry to hear of your situation.....
You might find that the majority of those on here this year will have had a child on here 2 years ago or this is the first time (based on the general fact that most don't have siblings in subsequent years, etc..)
Therefore you may have to trawl through all of the pages of the forum to find out what happened in 2011 and if anyone has posted any scores that then went to appeal and were successful...
Sorry - it's probably time for a coffee and do it or wait until later, have a G&T and then set back for the eve going through historic posts??
This is our first time and I fully understand the frustration - will be going through this again in 2 years with DD!!
What fun......
Good luck...
willow_catkin

Post by willow_catkin »

There is no 'threshold' because the appeal is about so much more than the score.

The things that are considered are evidence of extenuating circumstances and / or evidence of high academic ability.

Good luck if you do appeal
Artemis1

Post by Artemis1 »

Thank you both for your helpful replies. I think I'll have to do a bit of historical research, as suggested.

Thanks again.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

When it gets to appeals, the score is very much a lesser chunk of information. After all, of it were the prime criteria, you wouldn't need a panel, just a waiting list.

I have known appeals won with scores in the 170's. I've known appeals lost with scores well over 200.

Much more important are the CATs, predicted SATs, school reports, and any other academic evidence.

If in doubt, appeal. You don't have to tell your child.

The more appeals are heard, the more appeals panelists are needed. Volunteer, or suggest it to a friend!
Capers
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Capers I think I luuuuurve you.x :D
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

edit
Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

:oops:
Capers
Artemis1

Post by Artemis1 »

Thanks, Capers, for the great advice.

I never dreamed my thread would turn into a place where romance blossoms - a 'luurve' thread !! LOL
DebP

Post by DebP »

I also wondered how low the scores might go.
My DS got no where near the pass mark for Crypt or STR but I have beeen thinking of putting them on CAF so I have the option to appeal.
Especially now that I have read lots on this site about appeals.

Now I think the case will be strengthen as DS PASSED the kent test - the result simply says "assessed as suitable for GS".
It could be several days before i get the actual scores to find out whether he JUST passed or got a high mark.
I think this would be strong evidence in an appeal.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now