Age weighting?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bendyspatula

Age weighting?

Post by bendyspatula »

Apologies if this has previously been a topic but I've not spotted it if it has...

Given that some 11+ areas weight scores by age but Essex does not does this mean GS in Essex are full of kids with birthdays towards the beginning of the academic year?

I'm generally wondering what the "Parent Guide to Essex 11+" would look like if it started with tips pre-conception and thinking it should state "if you wish to have a child of advantageous age for grammar school avoid conceiving between the months of June and December" - then going on to recommend only having one child, sending them to an indie and booking a place with a renowned tutor around Year 2 then keeping them in a sterile bubble for a fortnight prior to the test itself yet hoodwinking them that it isn't important, preferably by putting them in for so many school entry assessments they can't tell which is the one to get pent up about!
Minesatea

Re: Age weighting?

Post by Minesatea »

Sorry but one of my DD's best friends at ColCHS has a birthday of 31st August!

I also have 3 state educated children with an anti-11 plus headteacher, no tutor and I (slap wrist) let my eldest go to camp the week before his 11 plus (actually I think the camp was probably the thing I did right!):D
Red Robin

Post by Red Robin »

Sorry, I Disagree too :mrgreen:

My DS was born towards the end of the academic year too and scored in excess of 390 this sitting..............(yes at and Independent school......but without a tutor :wink: )
marigold

Post by marigold »

Daughter at CCHS, summer birthday, all daughter's friends summer birthdays, all from state primaries and a few of them the high fliers of their year.
I just do not think birthdays have anything to do with it. There are several threads about this on the forum and I think all of them end up being lists of members with summer born children.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I agree that on an individual basis we will all know summer born children who are bright - my on included, but in areas where they do standardise the summer borns consistently get lower marks than those born early in the academic year - I think it is generally accepted (except in Essex). I am curious though, does Essex have an excess of older children in each year?
scary mum
bendyspatula

Post by bendyspatula »

scary mum that was partly what I was getting at. Does anyone have actually stats that answer my question? Are Essex GS more heavily populated by DCs with birthdays towards the beginning of the academic year (yes of course I know there will be exceptions). It was really just me musing about what I cuold have done differently, as my DD hasn't got a high score but mainly due to being taken ill during the tests and actually, despite that her scores are still higher than any of her classmates who took it, all of whom are older than her, also have siblings and have been at same state primary...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now