Worth Appealing?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
countrymum

Worth Appealing?

Post by countrymum »

Hello. As I am quite naive when it comes to it all things appeal/CAF related I thought i'd ask any questions here. AGGS I gather doesn't have a super success rate at appeal, so I believe luck may not be on DD's side already, but where there's hope.

I have read all (well the ones relevant to me) appeal T&C's but thought may want to pop by and ask a question or two.

Thanks.
Last edited by countrymum on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
overanxious

Re: Worth Appealing AGGS?

Post by overanxious »

I'm happy to PM you my daughter's scores/levels/academics if you're interested.

Sadly, we found the AGGS appeal system inadequate, desultory and totally untransparent :roll: But we didn't get in, so we would, wouldn't we?! :lol:

I think all the successful appeals last year had passed the exam and were at the very top of the waiting list. Conveniently [cynical emoticon]
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks OV, yes I saw your appeal story on here, I was rooting for you! Looking at their appeal history I know hardly any appeals are upheld.

Edited to say: Have shared over at the box. Thank you
Last edited by countrymum on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, countrymum.

Most of your questions will be answered in our Q&As.
Worth Appealing AGGS?
Only the panel responsible for your appeal can answer that at the time of the hearing.
All sorts of factors might affect the outcome, some of which could be completely outside your control.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Standardised scores are discussed in B11(e):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Percentiles can be found in B28(d).
There's no easy answer as to what sort of percentiles would assist your case, as it's a matter for the individual appeal panel. Generally speaking, though, the more competitive entry is, the higher one might expect the percentile to be if it's going to make a favourable impression.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Etienne
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

overanxious wrote:Sadly, we found the AGGS appeal system inadequate, desultory and totally untransparent But we didn't get in, so we would, wouldn't we?!

So sorry to hear your DD did not pass Countrymum. :(
Having been through the AGGS appeal process and in total agreement with OA about their appeal system I still have no regrets about appealing.
We asked DD if she wanted us to appeal, she said yes so we appealed (making sure that she knew that there was only a very slim chance of a place and that she should concentrate on her allocated school.) Yes it was time consuming and daunting but I can hand on heart say we fought hard for a place for our DD and she appreciated that.
Last year all the appeals granted were for in catchment and qualified but in previous years some appeals were granted to non qualified girls (I think in the seven form entry year groups). You could ask for this info from AGGS but be very specific as to what info you need from them otherwise you will get a generic x number of appeals granted in x years like I did.
If you do decide to go down this route I am happy to PM you any of the info I have that may help.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thank you Etienne and CarpDiem for your replies.
Hope my information sent via the box was in any way beneficial
I am logically trying to break any possible appeal into two, I don't know if this is the right way....1st her academic ability (details of all her NFER scores etc have been sent via the box but happy to openly share. Her previous very good score at another Grammar school (two GS results still to get)

Can I talk scores here or us it best not to?

And then the traumatic evening we had ( information also sent via box) the evening before her exam i feel hampered her that day and she ended up not being on top form. Obviously I felt strong enough to complete and hand in the special circumstances form but maybe in reality these don't have much of a baring.

In my simple terms I see a very able girl pass a decent GS exam by a very good margin with no special circumstances. Then misses out by a handful of points on another GS exam after having IMO special circumstances and which have had an influence on her under performing.

A no brainer to me that her stress the evening before, and her extremely late night had an effect and why she didn't get those extra needed points.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I am logically trying to break any possible appeal into two, I don't know if this is the right way.
Indeed - if you read section B of the Q&As, it's mostly about academic evidence and extenuating circumstances ......

If the school is full after the allocations, or might become oversubscribed as a result of appeals, then it would be critical not to overlook section C.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thank you Etienne,

I shall have a really good read of all those section C points.
I was thinking also, if her other 2 GS results come back in her favour, ie a pass. Would this have a positive bearing on any future appeal at AGGS?

I keep thinking of this CAF form, I haven't completed mine yet. I should list it shouldn't I, if I want to appeal?
Last edited by countrymum on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I was thinking also, if her other 2 GS results come back in her favour, ie a pass. Would this have a positive bearing on any future appeal at AGGS?
Depends whether the standard and the format are comparable. And might it not raise doubts about which school you're really interested in?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IF I decide an appeal may be worth pursuing at AGGS do I need to have it listed on there? CAF forms baffle me?
Usually, yes, because you can only appeal if you have applied and been refused.
Alternatively it ought to be possible to do a late change of preference (and then be refused):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- but this, again, might raise doubts at appeal about how committed you are to wanting a place at the school.
Etienne
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Super helpful, thank you.

Hmmm yes I did think that about the other school situation....So it could actually go against her that she (hypothetically) passed 3 out of 4 GS entrance exams with no special circumstances but missed out by 'x' points WITH imo special circumstances on the AGGS one. By passing any others am trying to in a round about way prove she didn't qualify BECAUSE of the special circumstances for that particular exam as look how well (hypothetically) she has done at the others.

I would obviously share how that school is THE right one for my DD because of X, Y and Z....Which I genuinely believe it is.

I think I shall await the results from her other two, Sale being the most important as is as near as can be to the AGGS one I believe. If you think it completely irrelevant her scores and any passes at the other GS's please do say and I can rub that line of thought out of my mind.

Thank you Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now