Not good news!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

eileen

Not good news!!

Post by eileen »

Hi, just want some advice daughter has combined score of 201 for birmingham and 320 ranking for walsall! I know that realistically she does not have a chance, but still will put one on the lea for, but need advice on which order. Sorry for posting same question!
nervousmom

Re: Not good news!!

Post by nervousmom »

If I were you, I would probably put your favourite as 1st and second favourite next(you just never know), but make sure you do put your local secondary school down as well as one of your choices.
um

Post by um »

It is difficult to know how to answer this, because, as you have pointed out, while your daughter is clearly bright and has done well compared to average, she has not made the required score for any of the Birmingham consortium Grammars or QMH.

You can still put a Grammar or a few Grammars on your form but unfortunately I think you already know that a place will not be attainable.
It is important to look at, and place other schools on your form that you would be happy with, in the order of preference.
Very best wishes.
eileen

Post by eileen »

Hi nervousmom, Thanks for reply, where do you think she has more of a chance, if any.
eileen

Post by eileen »

Thanks Um, English is her weaker subject and i think that's what's let her down, wish i had done more English with her.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Hi eileen, i really don`t know because i don`t know anything about the Walsall school.

the way i see it is if you have a good few choices on your form, then what harm in putting a GS as first preference, because you just never know, but as i say, you do need to make sure you put the local secondary, or a school of your choice that you know will be a safe option.

We are lucky as we have 7 choices, but parents in Worcs have a harder choice as they only get 3 choices.

Sorry i could not help further.
eileen

Post by eileen »

Thanks nervousmom, we are in walsall and i think we have 5 preferences? well done to you and your son!
meanjean14

Post by meanjean14 »

my ds got a combined score of 213 for birmingham ,what do you think the chances are of getting a place at any of the grammars?
sss

Post by sss »

meanjean14 wrote:my ds got a combined score of 213 for birmingham ,what do you think the chances are of getting a place at any of the grammars?
BV - very good chance
Aston - Possible
If you prefer Aston over BV-then put Aston first & then BV (if you still want BV).
If you prefer BV first over Aston, then put BV first & Aston second (Aston maybe a wasted choice, but you never know)!
Good luck.
um

Post by um »

Meanjean, he has a good, but not completely certain, chance of gaining admission to Bishop Vesey's Grammar School.
(Last score for KE Aston last year was 216 so it is unlikely to drop by 3/4 points unfortunately - although still just about possible, so if you prefer Aston, by all means do place it first)

Eileen, you have done your best for your daughter; she has scored above average.
I would be proud of her and if you feel this result has highlighted any weak areas, you now have unpressurised time to address these with her so that she enters Secondary school as a strong academic candidate.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now