NFER NVR Practice test success

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
blissot

NFER NVR Practice test success

Post by blissot »

Happy daughter came home from school yesterday. She sat the second practice test for NVR and the practice test was very similar to what she had been practicing 5 sections of 12 questions 6 minutes each. The school had played the same trick again where they sprung it on them the day before they had originally said but this time she was use to the setup had had a good nights sleep and a good breakfast so no tears. She was much happier after the first disaster where she ran out of time and the fact there was different types of questions. I am sure we can work on speed and these other questions over the summer (any tips would be gratefully appreciated). I was worried about the NVR as this type of test is something you can't really tutor for, you can just familiarise them with it and this paid off yesterday with a score of 55 out of 60 on the NVR practice test (haven't worked out the percentage yet) but i hope that if it is similar to the practice in the real test we should be ok. :D
SJ

Post by SJ »

Glad that she feels happier and 55/60 is a good score! Please be aware that when they sat the NVR in Lincolnshire last year the actual test was 16-18 question per section over 4 sections and they had 8 minutes per section. A total of 65 questions in total.

NVR is not something you can tutor for but if you work on the speed with a process of elimination for those that just acnnot be the answer and use the remaining time to concentrate on the detail of those that could be the answer, this might help during your practice over the summer.

Keep us posted and Good Luck for September. Which GS is your daughter hoping to gain entry to.
blissot

Post by blissot »

Hopefully Queen Elizabeth Grammar School at Gainsborough. Thanks for the information about the test last year, The more information i can give her about how the test might be structured is all I can do. :)
elaine

Post by elaine »

My son will be sitting the tests at Bourne in September. Although we have practised NVR I am confused as to the format of the exam. Will NVR be multiple choice with a separate answer sheet or the standard format in one booklet. I take it from a previous posting that it could be in 4 timed sessions of 8 minutes each. We are just outside the Bourne area, our primary school has not been very helpful!!

Grateful for any advice on the format of both NVR and VR exams at Bourne Grammar School
SJ

Post by SJ »

Elaine

The VR is standard format and the NVR is just in one booklet, you have to "mark" which one is the answer on the sheet with the "symbols" on, so in effect it is also standard. Last year it was 65 questions over sections of 8 minutes each. It is the same as the NFER practice NVR standard format just 65 question not 60 and 4 sections not 5.

Hope this helps.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now