A bit of a premature question about SHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manana

A bit of a premature question about SHSB

Post by Manana »

...but does anyone know how the year 7 forms are organised for Southend Boys? Are they done alphabetically or by age or just randomly? I wondered if anyone here had a boy already there?
Shrimpergarry

Re: A bit of a premature question about SHSB

Post by Shrimpergarry »

They have 6 forms for year 7 entry (25 boys in each), 3 forms are for those in the houses Sparta and Troy, and the other 3 are for Athens and Tuscany.

If you have a family connection to one of the houses you can request your son is in the same house (my son is a Trojan, just like me!) and was placed randomly in one of the three "ST" forms. If you have no family links you will be placed randomly in any of the 6 forms.

There has to date been no allocation by age, surname, geography, primary school or any other factor - all completely random!

My son is now in year 12, having got an out of borough place in year 7 (we live in Chelmsford). He loves the school, achieved brilliant GCSE results and both we and he are delighted with the standard of education as well as the pastoral support the boys get. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Shrimpergarry wrote:They have 6 forms for year 7 entry (25 boys in each), 3 forms are for those in the houses Sparta and Troy, and the other 3 are for Athens and Tuscany.

If you have a family connection to one of the houses you can request your son is in the same house (my son is a Trojan, just like me!) and was placed randomly in one of the three "ST" forms. If you have no family links you will be placed randomly in any of the 6 forms.

There has to date been no allocation by age, surname, geography, primary school or any other factor - all completely random!

My son is now in year 12, having got an out of borough place in year 7 (we live in Chelmsford). He loves the school, achieved brilliant GCSE results and both we and he are delighted with the standard of education as well as the pastoral support the boys get. Can't recommend it highly enough.
That is superbly helpful, thank you! My dad , three uncles and two brothers all went to SHSB so I will request the family house!

I didn't realise there were 6 forms? I went to WHSG and there were only 4!?
Manana

Post by Manana »

I've got another quick question! I've been reading on here about the great induction process at WHSG and wondered what they do at SHSB? I know there's a transition day (because I work in primary and all the Y6s disappear for a day in July!) but I don't know if that one session is all they do or even what they do with them?

Does anyone with a boy at SHSB know what their transition is like?