Year 9 - In year appeal for Sept 2013

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tigger2

Year 9 - In year appeal for Sept 2013

Post by tigger2 »

Its us again...this time contemplating appealing for a year 9 place for Sept 2013 for our ds. I contacted Kcc today and they told me that I can now apply for an in year place from November.

I am going to start to gather up to date information for the schools that we are interested in appealing for (the schools are over Pan so we know that we will have to appeal)...Although I need to ask questions of the schools that were similar to the ones that I asked for year 7 appeals I want to ask specific questions at two schools relating to the number of pupils on roll who have AS.....I am hoping to demonstrate that one school in particular has a higher than average amount of dc's with mild/moderate AS and is used to this personality style and is therefore experienced .

I was told that schools are not compelled to keep records in this way so they can not provide me with details . Does anyone know if this is correct ? If not is there anything that I can do to officially request answers to specific questions ?

Many thanks in advance
Tigger
Etienne

Re: Year 9 - In year appeal for Sept 2013

Post by Etienne »

Hi Tigger

Schools may not be compelled to keep those precise figures - I don't know - but I see no reason why you can't get hold of the information by putting in a FOI request.

There are legitimate grounds for refusing a FOI request, e.g. if individual children might be identified, or if the work involved in gathering the information would be excessive. (I can't see why the latter would apply, though - a SENCO could probably come up with the figures in less than a minute!)

FOI requests should be made in writing to the relevant admission authority (i.e. the school or the LA as appropriate). You can do this directly, or another possibility is to use the following website: http://www.WhatdoTheyKnow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(However, it may be necessary to ask them to add the admission authority to their list of public bodies first.)

If you encounter any problems with the admission authority, it would be worth contacting the Information Commissioner's helpline (on 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745, which is available between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday) for advice.
https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
tigger2

Re: Year 9 - In year appeal for Sept 2013

Post by tigger2 »

Thank you Etienne...simple being that I am I thought that this sort of information would be readily accessible and that a school would be prepared to give it out...I will have one more, very polite, try first before going down the FOI route. Thank you again

Tigger