Handsworth Girls or Sutton - Advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bloxy57

Handsworth Girls or Sutton - Advice please

Post by Bloxy57 »

Firstly well done to all the children who took the 11+ test irrespective of the result. Congratulations to those who got the result they wanted.

Also a big thank you all those who have taken the time to post advice on this forum for the benefit of others like me who are new to the 11+ system.

My dd has been fortunate enough to have a high enough score to hopefully secure a place at either KE Handsworth Girls or Sutton Grammar. I know we are lucky to have a choice, but we are finding it so difficult to decide which will be our first choice as we really like both of them.

It seems that Sutton does not have the percieved reputation compared to the KE grammars, however Sutton was very welcoming and friendly. In term of results there is not much between them but Handsworth does appear to send more girls to the more prestigous univeristies and looks to have better facilities than Sutton (perhaps due to greater funding).

However the issue has become more confusing as the headship has recently changed at Handsworth and I have heard that a lot of teachers have also left the school at the same time. In my limited experience a large turnover of staff is not always a good sign.

I would really appreciate any advice from anyone who has a view on either school, at open days I always feel that you only see the very best of the school and it is difficult to get a real "feel" of what the school is really like. Distance is not a factor as both are the same distance from us (about 25 mins).

Thank you.
Bloxy57

Re: Handsworth Girls or Sutton - Advice please

Post by Bloxy57 »

Sorry forgot to mention anyone can feel free to pm me if they want their advice to remain confidential. Thanks again.
echoes

Post by echoes »

Bloxy57 wrote:Firstly well done to all the children who took the 11+ test irrespective of the result. Congratulations to those who got the result they wanted.

Also a big thank you all those who have taken the time to post advice on this forum for the benefit of others like me who are new to the 11+ system.

My dd has been fortunate enough to have a high enough score to hopefully secure a place at either KE Handsworth Girls or Sutton Grammar. I know we are lucky to have a choice, but we are finding it so difficult to decide which will be our first choice as we really like both of them.

It seems that Sutton does not have the percieved reputation compared to the KE grammars, however Sutton was very welcoming and friendly. In term of results there is not much between them but Handsworth does appear to send more girls to the more prestigous univeristies and looks to have better facilities than Sutton (perhaps due to greater funding).

However the issue has become more confusing as the headship has recently changed at Handsworth and I have heard that a lot of teachers have also left the school at the same time. In my limited experience a large turnover of staff is not always a good sign.

I would really appreciate any advice from anyone who has a view on either school, at open days I always feel that you only see the very best of the school and it is difficult to get a real "feel" of what the school is really like. Distance is not a factor as both are the same distance from us (about 25 mins).

Thank you.
We have a similar dilemma as you. What is considered high enough score to secure a place at handsworth or sutton.. Our dd got 225 and we feel its border line.
Bibbygunn

Post by Bibbygunn »

echoes wrote:
Bloxy57 wrote:Firstly well done to all the children who took the 11+ test irrespective of the result. Congratulations to those who got the result they wanted.

Thank you.
We have a similar dilemma as you. What is considered high enough score to secure a place at handsworth or sutton.. Our dd got 225 and we feel its border line.
I think 225 should be enough for Sutton, my daughter got 229 and as last 2 years were 207 and 210 there seems to be enough 'buffer'. It would not make sense if say the minimum this year is 230..they use the previous years as a yardstick and I suspect the minimum will again be in the range 205-215.
echoes

Post by echoes »

Bibbygunn wrote:
echoes wrote:

Thank you.
I think 225 should be enough for Sutton, my daughter got 229 and as last 2 years were 207 and 210 there seems to be enough 'buffer'. It would not make sense if say the minimum this year is 230..they use the previous years as a yardstick and I suspect the minimum will again be in the range 205-215.
Sutton Coldfield is outside Birmingham and thats our concern. We are hoping to relocate so I am assuming that there will be plenty more jobs in Birmingham then Sutton Coldfield.
Bloxy57

Post by Bloxy57 »

Thank you for your posts guys. But I think you are missing the point of the question I'm asking in my original post. Threre are other posts where people are dealing with scores and relocation.

Given the number of views for this post and the kind nature of the majority people on this forum I'm quite dissapointed with the response to my post. There seems to be plenty on this forum regarding boys schools and the more "elite" schools such as CHB and Five Ways but very little for schools such as Handsworth and Sutton for girls.

There must be a lot of parents who are in my postition where there dds have worked so hard and perhaps not made the scores for Camp Hill or Five Ways but have the choice of Handsworth or Sutton and are finding it difficult to decide which will be the first choice.

I know we should be looking at which school would suit our dd the most but given the points I mention in my original post, it's not always so simple or straightforward.

Again, if anyone has any views on either Handsworth or Sutton for girls, positive or negative. Given how little time we have to decide, I'd really appreciate them posting what they think or know.

Thank you.
josh sen

Post by josh sen »

Bloxy,the choice is probably yours ,all the schools are great and their average is probably affected by number of students and distance from the main urban centres .Students with very supportive parents will do well anywhere.

Must add,don't be scared to add CH or FW as no one knows how low the scores will go ,if you have got the choice of six schools go for it...
ss1

Post by ss1 »

I have daughters at both Sutton Grammar and King Edwards Handsworth, the older one is in Yr 13 at Sutton Grammar and the younger one is in Yr11 at Handsworth. I would say firstly that they are both very good schools in my experience Sutton provides more help and input for their pupils compared to Handsworth. I feel you are more left to find your own way through at Handsworth and that Sutton seems to push its pupils more than Handsworth.
brendan

Post by brendan »

ss1 wrote:I have daughters at both Sutton Grammar and King Edwards Handsworth, the older one is in Yr 13 at Sutton Grammar and the younger one is in Yr11 at Handsworth. I would say firstly that they are both very good schools in my experience Sutton provides more help and input for their pupils compared to Handsworth. I feel you are more left to find your own way through at Handsworth and that Sutton seems to push its pupils more than Handsworth.
Nothing beats hearing it first hand from a parent who has experienced both schools. I'm in the same position and struggling to make a choice between the two schools. Having read this post It's definitely Sutton !!

Thanks SS1!!!
echoes

Post by echoes »

ss1 wrote:I have daughters at both Sutton Grammar and King Edwards Handsworth, the older one is in Yr 13 at Sutton Grammar and the younger one is in Yr11 at Handsworth. I would say firstly that they are both very good schools in my experience Sutton provides more help and input for their pupils compared to Handsworth. I feel you are more left to find your own way through at Handsworth and that Sutton seems to push its pupils more than Handsworth.
What sort of area would make it easier to commute to Sutton Coldfield . We would prefer not to live in Sutton.

Is there an nice/safe areas around handsworth or good for commuting to handsworth?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now