Non Medway passes effect on results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
warwickwater

Non Medway passes effect on results

Post by warwickwater »

I see from this years figures that 254 passes were recorded by children from outside Medway (but from within Kent) and 16 from outside Kent as a whole. 653 passed from within Medway. This represented, as planned and expected, around 23% of the total school number for the year, and presumably matched the number of selective places available.

My understanding is that 'non Medway' people often take the test as an insurance against a fail by them in the Kent test, and thus when most pass they do not take up a place in Medway.

Does this mean that there are then 'not enough' people who passed who want placesin Medway , or is the original 23% figure arrived at without reference to the out of Medway numbers, who are considered 'extras' and the few that actually want a place having failed in Kent are considered later?

Just curious as to how it affects availability....
reddebs

Re: Non Medway passes effect on results

Post by reddebs »

I believe the 23% selected as deemed selective is arrived at irrespective of location of the student but is based on the Medway cohort of children.
There will be a number of out of county passers that want a Medway school. Mainly those in Sittingbourne/Rainham, Aylseford/Maidstone, Gravesend etc. But there will be a significant proportion of OOC passers that are using it as a backup and will if successful elsewhere not take up a Medway school place.
This puts Medway schools in an increasingly difficult situation regarding school intake and empty seats. As a result a couple of the schools have announced additional admission tests to try and fill the empty seats.
For those that are considering an appeal this is a glimmer of hope.
I hope this explanation helps!
red_debs
Peter

Post by Peter »

warwickwater wrote:I see from this years figures that 254 passes were recorded by children from outside Medway (but from within Kent) and 16 from outside Kent as a whole. 653 passed from within Medway. This represented, as planned and expected, around 23% of the total school number for the year, and presumably matched the number of selective places available.

My understanding is that 'non Medway' people often take the test as an insurance against a fail by them in the Kent test, and thus when most pass they do not take up a place in Medway.

Does this mean that there are then 'not enough' people who passed who want placesin Medway , or is the original 23% figure arrived at without reference to the out of Medway numbers, who are considered 'extras' and the few that actually want a place having failed in Kent are considered later?

Just curious as to how it affects availability....
I am happy to have supplied the information. It is courteous to acknowledge the source.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

My understanding is as follows:
- the 23% (and after reviews 25%) of cohort is based on Medway children only
- Kent and OOC children are therefore 'extra'
- the number of children passing is not connected to the schools' vacancies because the council does not want either to dilute the GS standard, or to leave the remaining schools with lower numbers (and lower achievers at 11+ level)
- the number of children in Medway schools has been falling for years, so some grammar schools (the two in Chatham, mostly I think because they are less accessible) have spaces to fill
- as a result, the cut-off mark for those schools taking on high marks (RMGS and RGS) has fallen year on year, and the two Chatham GS have taken extraordinary measures this year to fill spaces

I am very happy to acknowledge that over the past two or three years of my 11+ journey with two DCs, I have learnt an enormous amount from Peter ***** :D
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

It was explained in the letter which came with the results. 23% of the current Year 6 pass. This then sets a pass mark. Anyone above this cut off - this year 509 - from OOA/C then pass. Hope that helps.
skip202

Post by skip202 »

I would also concur with Samlet about the information ****
Please keep up the great work.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now