How to start an appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

skenty

How to start an appeal

Post by skenty »

Hi, our DD scored 302.309 in the 11+ exam. We are considering an appeal. Our evidence would be;

*she is currently working at level 5 and is predicted level 5 SATs in May of year 6
*she has a high reading age
*the primary school have agreed to support an appeal
*we have mock test scores from testing centres which were very good
*she has a medical condition which meant she lost a significant amount of school time in year 4 and we were unable to have home tuition as there was not teacher available.
* she has excellent school reports which highlight her attitude to education

How do you start an appeal??? We are not sure (especially as the system changed this year i.e scores in October, school offer March etc..) :?:
Dazel

Re: Stage 1 Appeal Advice, etc.

Post by Dazel »

I would also like to know how to start an appeal process within the new system.
Etienne

Re: How to start an appeal

Post by Etienne »

There's no change.

In order to appeal, you have to be formally refused - and this won't happen before the beginning of March. At that point you should be told what to do if you want to appeal.

Have a careful look at our Q&As to help prepare in the meantime:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
skenty

Post by skenty »

Hi Etienne,

We have received a letter from my DD's tutor in support of any appeal. I have cut/paste it here. Is this the sort of evidence they are after?

To whom it may concern

I have tutored ******* for a period of 13 months in preparation for her Eleven Plus tests, of which has included many assessment tasks and skill development tuition.
Throughout this period, **** has displayed an aptitude for this level of study and on many occasions, grasped difficult concepts covered in the selective tests quickly and effectively.
It was shocked to hear of **** not being successful in her examinations, therefore not being allocated a place in her preferred Grammar School.
**** managed to attain very good results in her assessments more so at the latter end of the her tuition programme. Within the last 3 months, **** averaged 78% in Mathematics, 82.5% in English and 84% in Verbal Reasoning. The sustained effort that **** put into her studies and dedication to improve ensured that she was ready to successfully complete her selective tests.
I feel that **** not performing ‘on the day’ was out of character of which should be taken into consideration throughout the appeal process. In addition,**** charismatic nature and studious attitude towards her learning would stand in good stead within the Grammar School education system.
**** has much to offer both within her selected school and I strongly believe she would be suited and an asset to her school of choice.
Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me on *********** or by email at ****************.

Many thanks

Mr XXXXXX
Deputy Headteacher
Last edited by skenty on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manana

Post by Manana »

skenty wrote:Hi Etienne,

We have received a letter from my DD's tutor in support of any appeal. I have cut/paste it here. Is this the sort of evidence they are after?

To whom it may concern

I have tutored ******* for a period of 13 months in preparation for her Eleven Plus tests, of which has included many assessment tasks and skill development tuition.
Throughout this period, **** has displayed an aptitude for this level of study and on many occasions, grasped difficult concepts covered in the selective tests quickly and effectively.
It was shocked to hear of **** not being successful in her examinations, therefore not being allocated a place in her preferred Grammar School.
**** managed to attain very good results in her assessments more so at the latter end of the het tuition programme. Within the last 3 months, **** averaged 78% in Mathematics, 82.5% in English and 84% in Verbal Reasoning. The sustained effort that **** put into her studies and dedication to improve ensured that she was ready to successfully complete her selective tests.
I feel that **** not performing ‘on the day’ was out of character of which should be taken into consideration throughout the appeal process. In addition, ****’s charismatic nature and studious attitude towards her learning would stand in good stead within the Grammar School education system.
**** has much to offer both within her selected school and I strongly believe she would be suited and an asset to her school of choice.
Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me on ************** or by email at ***************.

Many thanks

Mr XXXXXX
Deputy Headteacher
XXXXX Primary school
You might wish to edit your post to take out the tutor's details-I recognise the name and know who that is...!
skenty

Post by skenty »

Hi Manana, I just have edited - thought I had cut/paste the revised version but obviously failed!

Thanks
Skenty
skenty

Post by skenty »

Manana - the quoted part of your post is the only bit with tutors details on now but I can't remove that - any ideas?
ahap

Post by ahap »

Skenty pm Manana, only she or a mod can do it.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
skenty

Post by skenty »

thanks Ahap have done both!

Regards
Skenty
skenty

Post by skenty »

how do you contact mod - all seem to be offline??