KECHG vs KEVIHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
equation

KECHG vs KEVIHS

Post by equation »

My dd achieved a safe score for CHG.
However we just can't decide on CHG or KE Handsworth. We live slightly nearer to CHG & my dd likes both (although I prefer Handsworth!).
Any comments on either school? :?
reeyah

Re: KECHG vs KEVIHS

Post by reeyah »

If it's only slightly nearer then go for KEHS, brilliant school. Not that CH isn't brilliant , it is, but KEHS is 'warmer'. A lot of parents prefer it.
CaptainCaveman

Post by CaptainCaveman »

Exactly same dilemma here with DD obtaining safe score for Camp Hill but liking Handsworth. I have just been looking at the FT tables and there seems to be a much bigger difference than I thought from looking at the BBC tables.
echoes

Post by echoes »

CaptainCaveman wrote:Exactly same dilemma here with DD obtaining safe score for Camp Hill but liking Handsworth. I have just been looking at the FT tables and there seems to be a much bigger difference than I thought from looking at the BBC tables.
there is a difference of about about 150.. But I am not sure what to read into these rankings.. I couldn't work out the criteria that they use.
equation

Post by equation »

reeyah wrote:If it's only slightly nearer then go for KEHS, brilliant school. Not that CH isn't brilliant , it is, but KEHS is 'warmer'. A lot of parents prefer it.
We had that feeling, 'warmer,' about KEHS as well.
It's an extra 1 hour journey per day from where we live & my dd's school friends are going to CHG & if anything she prefers CHG & so does my partner.
However deep down I know KEHS is the right school for her. :? :? :?
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Don't quite get the "warmth" thing. I've always found CHG very warm and friendly (Although the last head was maybe a little formal and old fashioned) We love CHG and my DD is very happy there (Year 8 ). Please feel free to pm if you have any specific questions.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Using KEHS as an abbreviation for Handsworth is confusing since it's also the abbreviation for the High School.

edit to add:

FT 1000 ranking for the last 5 years:

CH: 80, 132, 137, 137, 101
Hw: 160, 132, 137, 101, 121

Basically no difference.
GuidingStar

Post by GuidingStar »

Before talking abt my DD, I must first appreciate the help and guidance this forum gave me, and thanks to all who contributed to this forum.
Last edited by GuidingStar on Thu May 02, 2013 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainCaveman

Post by CaptainCaveman »

Can anyone enlighten me re GCSE policy at CHG and KEVIHS?

How many GCSEs do the girls have to take?

I realise CHG occupies a higher league table position, but its easier to interpret if I know how many GCSEs are taken. Obviously the fact CHG creams off some of the best girls means they SHOULD get better results assuming all else is equal. I say some of the best girls, not all, as parent preferences come into it and there are very bright girls in all schools FW, KEVIHS and KEHS. We are not inclined to choose on the basis of league table position alone unlike many parents we know.

I read the new head at KEVIHS is a positive thing. Are there any school politics about either school that we should know about from other parents?
equation

Post by equation »

We've finally decided.......KEVIHS has to be the ONE!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now