CRGS Result

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Majik

CRGS Result

Post by Majik »

Just received the letter for my sons 11+. He's met the required standard however as they are oversubscribed they can not offer him a place. He is 4th on the reserved list. Just so you know we do not live in the catchment area as we are on the wrong side of Blackburn.

This reserved list they mention am I right in thinking that this would be for people outside of the catchment area. But also if they are saying they are oversubscribed are they saying that they have filled all 120 places from within the catchment area. Don't they have a policy of taking a certain number of people from out of the catchment area. Or does the reserved list mean they have filled their quota of non-catchment and my son was about 4 places away from that.

I have seen people in the past from my area get into clitheroe after being 5th on a waiting list which I'm guessing is this reserved list they are talking about.

Anybody with any experience please?
hermanmunster

Re: CRGS Result

Post by hermanmunster »

Might be worth asking the school about the list at present ..

..... but bear in mind that no places have actually been allocated yet, some of the OOC kids who pass may go to Skipton, Stoneyhurst, QEGS Blackburn or any other places. Until the CAF is filled in by everyone who wants a place and the places are allocated then they can';t really give you a complete picture of a waiting list.
Majik

Post by Majik »

I asked the school for clarification on whether the reserved list was for out of catchment candidates and they said yes. I'm just wondering if they said that just to get me off the phone.

They have said in the letter that it's oversubscribed. The school where my wife works have said if he's in the top 4 then he's in. I guess it really depends how many drop out as there were quiet a few who had also done the Skipton exam.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You really won't know unless you put it as first on the CAF (if it is your first choice that is?) - then have to wait until March to get the answer and appeal if you don't get a place.

Have you got other schools in mind or other exams you are waiting for?
Majik

Post by Majik »

Well it is first choice on our CAF my son is currently at westholme and will be sitting the westholme and qegs exam as well. But obviously nobody is made of money and clitheroe has a very high reputation. We just want our options open.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Indeed!

Best thing to keep all options open - will keep fingers crossed for CRGS (and QEGS and Westholme) !
Majik

Post by Majik »

Thanks. I understand that 11 got in through the reserved list last year, and I think someone in our neighbourhood got in a couple of years ago after being 7th in the list.

As you've pointed out on previous threads people in the non-catchment area could have scored higher and be more deserving of a place but due to LEA policies priority is given to catchment area candidates.

It looks promising as he is very high up on the list. I know one lad who's got an older sibling at Skipton Grammar and he sat the Clitheroe exam a couple of weeks after the Skipton exam. Will find out later today if he's passed or not, as the boys will be talking about it at school. If that lad has passed, then shame my lad didn't get those few extra marks to get 1st on the list, or for that matter get an out and out offer, which I'm sure the parents of the child in the number one spot on that list will be thinking.
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

Majik wrote:As you've pointed out on previous threads people in the non-catchment area could have scored higher and be more deserving of a place but due to LEA policies priority is given to catchment area candidates.
I know I would say this as we live in Skipton's catchment area (which is loopy in shape, going about three miles south and twenty miles north) but I'd rather places went to kids who live nearer the school. Even at SGHS our eldest has mates from Ilkley, Burley, Cowling etc - if they went down the "super grammar" route of doing it only on rank order then you'd have children travelling from Leeds and beyond, which doesn't seem sensible.

I'm sure your lad'll be fine with that place. As Herman says there's lots of other options for boys in that area. I went to LRGS (as a boarder) and loads of boys came from Burnley, Blackburn and other bits of east lancs.
Majik

Post by Majik »

It's good to hear that. In my heart of hearts I know he's done enough and if the past few years are anything to go by, the top ten on that list will probably get in. But I am telling him to focus on his upcoming exams at QEGS and Westholme. We're actually reconsidering QEGS because he's high enough on the waiting list and should get through the Westholme exam and I think the plan is if not Clitheroe then keep him at westholme, I'll just have to keep working hard.
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

QEGS Blackburn? Good school (well it was in my day) - I went to LRGS and my cousin went to QEGS (from Preston). He did very well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now