Kent test - so near yet so far

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Villagedad

Kent test - so near yet so far

Post by Villagedad »

Dear Etienne

Our DS unfortunately did not pass the Kent 11-plus this week :(

We are all gutted, especially as we have received his scores this morning which are:

NVR 141 (top mark)
VR 141 (top mark)
Maths 118 (1 mark off minimum pass per subject accepted of 119)

Added together a very good pass score of 400 (pass is 360 in Kent). Separately 1 mark off the minimum of 119 needed in Kent for a pass.. Our head-teacher did do an appeal but after looking at his work they said that there were gaps in his knowledge, not high enough CATs/SATs etc.. I haven't actually seen the head-teacher appeal letter yet so I can't fully comment on what else was said.

In the maths exam he had a bit of a meltdown and panic attack which obviously affected his mark. This was documented by the teacher as he was in tears. Would this be grounds to pass him at an appeal, i.e. that if it were not for this he would have passed?

There are other things that may have affected his ability on the day but just wanted to ask if you think it is worth us going down the appeal route? And also if we were to go down the appeal route should we still put a grammar school (e.g. Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys) at the top of the CAF form? The other boys grammars are super selective so it would only be TWGSB we would appealing for.

It's been a real roller-coaster of emotions the past 24hrs we just need a break now.

Look forward to hearing from you
Villagedad
monstermum

Re: Kent test - so near yet so far

Post by monstermum »

Can't help but thinking of you Villagedad. What amazing scores your son got.

MM
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh Villagedad, how upsetting and infuriating.

Yes appeal. Was maths a different day from the other two papers?

Grrrr ... this is where the Kent test really annoys me but this isn't the place for that.

Build up loads of good evidence about maths performance between now and the appeal, and work on his maths and up the school's APP score for him so that by the time you get to the appeal meeting he's a level 6 on paper!

Try an Ed Psych too. With NVR scores like htat he should have good maths potential longer term.

I wanted to hear more about Katel's Ed Psych and appeal experience last year but she has disappeared after not getting through on appeal. Maybe you could PM her?

A relative of mine failed the Kent maths and passed the rest although she's great at maths and not so great verbally! Got a place at Russell group uni to study maths - so please don't take it as an indictment of your son's maths - either a bad day as you say, or some patchy teaching.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Also, the appeal won`t actually be until May/July 2013, which give you and the school adequate time to remedy the `gaps`.

We did this with DD1, she failed the maths by 1 point, by the time we went to appeal she was a 5a in maths thanks to alot of hard work by OH and her very supportive yr 6 teacher......and, obviously DD1 herself who was prepared to do the extra work set for her.

As a now serial appealer :? :? :shock: I think if you don`t appeal you will never know. If you do appeal and are not successful, your DS will always know you had faith in him enough to go there. And that counts for so much.

Its a very tough road, but the potential reward is worth the trauma
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Sorry to hear you didn't get a pass Villagedad.

Yes definitely worth appealing with those scores.

What are his current levels?

I agree with mystery about getting his maths level up before the appeal. Gather together all the evidence you can that the day of the test was just a blip. You have plenty of time for this as the appeals won't be until at least May - a whole 6 months away!!

If you don't appeal, what are your other choices? Would you be happy for your obviously clever, grammar material boy to go there.

Appealing is not easy, it's a long journey, but if you don't do you will always be asking yourself what if and perhaps regretting it.

Good luck.
stressedmum11

Post by stressedmum11 »

Hi All im a newbie to the site !!!

Just been reading through a few of the threads on here and im amazed that you all know yr childrens scores already !!! As our HT told all of us from our school that by law she cannot tell us till the 19th oct !!! i have a sneaky feeling we may of been told a pack lies :(
This morning i went into the school office to be told the HT wont be at school tomorrow or monday to see us so we would have to wait till tuesday !!!
After what can only be called a small riot took place lol we have since managed to get appointments with the DHT tomorrow morning.

Sorry to hear yr children have not passed, my daughter didnt either and im very eager to find out her scores to i can assess how to go on from here xx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Villagedad

I am sure Etienne will be along shortly, but I wanted to add my sympathy.
Villagedad wrote:NVR 141 (top mark)
VR 141 (top mark)
Maths 118 (1 mark off minimum pass per subject accepted of 119)
The VR and NVR scores are absolutely amazing, and you should definitely appeal.
Added together a very good pass score of 400 (pass is 360 in Kent). Separately 1 mark off the minimum of 119 needed in Kent for a pass.. Our head-teacher did do an appeal but after looking at his work they said that there were gaps in his knowledge, not high enough CATs/SATs etc.. I haven't actually seen the head-teacher appeal letter yet so I can't fully comment on what else was said.
Let us know once you have received it, along withe CATs/SATs. (You can scan and send it to the AppealsBox if you wish, or just post the key content here.)
In the maths exam he had a bit of a meltdown and panic attack which obviously affected his mark. This was documented by the teacher as he was in tears. Would this be grounds to pass him at an appeal, i.e. that if it were not for this he would have passed?
No one other than your own panel can say if it is enough, but with a single missing mark you must have a reasonable chance of success.
There are other things that may have affected his ability on the day but just wanted to ask if you think it is worth us going down the appeal route?
One of the biggest mistakes parents make is to throw too many extenuating circumstances at an appeal, especially when there are only one or two missing marks. He was upset in the exam, and that was documented. That may well be all you need by way of "reasons". More than that might quickly become "excuses".
And also if we were to go down the appeal route should we still put a grammar school (e.g. Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys) at the top of the CAF form?
Yes, you must put TWGS down because you can only appeal for a school once your son has been refused a place.

Take lots of deep breaths, relax as far as possible and we will guide you through the process.

Best wishes

Sally-Anne
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Sally-Anne wrote: Yes, you must put TWGS down because you can only appeal for a school once your son has been refused a place.

Take lots of deep breaths, relax as far as possible and we will guide you through the process.

Best wishes

Sally-Anne
Many thanks Sally-Anne let me get back to you
By the way, how do we use the AppealsBox for scanned-in docs.., is there an email address? Sorry to sound dumb on this one.

All the best
Villagedad
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Memo to me: Do NOT abbreviate Villagedad to VD ... :lol: )
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Very sorry to hear your news, Villagedad.
Lots of good advice above, so not much left for me to say! :)
I will just stress, though, that the answer to this is 'No'. I would have thought, as others have suggested, that you'll need evidence of high ability, especially in maths.
See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the school is full after the allocations, or might become oversubscribed as a result of appeals, then you will also need reasons for wanting a place at the school being appealed for.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now