SEN allowances

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PurpleDog

SEN allowances

Post by PurpleDog »

We are just starting to explore our secondary options and are considering preparing our daughter for 11+.

We are out of area and have been told that the scores needed are likely to be exceptionally high e.g. 98% - particularly as our daughter has a September birthday.

Our daughter is highly gifted in some areas but also has special needs which particularly impact on her handwriting and some elements of maths such as geometry.

I am therefore questioning whether there is any point in putting her through the preparation process when she seems doomed to failure.

Is there any potential allowance for special needs and would this be by reasonable adjustments or could it be grounds for appeal after the event?

How can I find out more?

The only grammar school available to us is Tonbridge Grammar in Kent.
Disney-Mum

Re: SEN allowances

Post by Disney-Mum »

Hello

Do you have a statement for SEN? If you do, you **might** be able to get some allowances during the test (my son got a smaller test room, but no extra time).

Also, if you name the school on the statement (providing your child passes) they have to be offered a place, no matter how far away you live. Although it will probably be your responsibility to get them there every day.

If you don't have a statement there will be no special allowances - or so I was told.

I'm going through it at the moment :-)

x
tigger2

Re: SEN allowances

Post by tigger2 »

Hi...my dd has just sat the Kent test and was awarded 25% extra time ...the school has to apply for this . Unfortunately there is only a few weeks that the school can make this application. Your dc must be registered for the test (from 1st June) and the deadline is usually early July. The school makes the application based on the adjustments given for sats and other tests and use ed psych reports etc if available.

Hope this helps
Tigger

You could use an unsuccessful application for adjustments at appeal but in our ds' case we didnt know that we could have applied for him and although we did mention this in appeal I don't think that the appeal panel was terribly sympathetic...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now