Bexley Grammar versus Townley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Strangemum

Bexley Grammar versus Townley

Post by Strangemum »

Any views on which of Bexley Grammar or Townley would suit v bright DD? I'd normally be drawn towards Townley because it is single sex. (DD has been in single sex primary and it seems that learning environment has suited her very well and really boosted her confidence.) DD achieves best in a friendly nurturing environment where achievement is valued. DD also very into music activities (orchestra, choir) However the 2012 A level results bother me as Bexley has a greater % A*. I'm not sure how the GCSE results compare...
Nanny Ogg

Re: Bexley Grammar versus Townley

Post by Nanny Ogg »

I think you can be the only judge on which is best for your DD based on visiting the school. Having said that both myself and DD, having visited both schools (and my longstanding preference for single gender secondary education) found Bexley to be the easy favourite of the two. Academically it is great but, perhaps more importantly, the atmosphere was friendlier, pupils more enthused and passionate about the school, and a generally more welcoming environment (in our opinion!). It has moved from being an outsider, to being clear second favourite!

Hope that helps,
Tina x
roundthree

Post by roundthree »

I have the same dilemma my DD liked both, we are visiting Chis and Sid tomorrow and if DD likes that as well we will have a very difficult decision to make. The one thing that keeps springing into my mind is what the HT at Townley reminded me and that is that it has been proven that girls do better at single sex schools and boys do better at mixed. Also can I compare Townleys all girls A* - B results with Bexley's mixed gender results. I would love to know what the percentage of girls at Bexley Grammar achieved A* - B. Any help or opinions greatly received. I found both schools very friendly and welcoming. They are all equal distance. I cannot find a sensible criteria to rank them in.

Please help I have not slept longer than four hours for weeks :? Although I must add I am very grateful that I have such a happy dilemma, it could have easily been much worse, as my local comps do not appeal at all.
Juancurt

Post by Juancurt »

Hi there. I'm having exactly the same dilemma.

Help!
bexleymum1

Post by bexleymum1 »

We have a DS at Bexley Grammar and a DD choosing this year. We assumed she would join her brother but were also impressed with Townley. However, as a former girls grammar school student myself, an all girl environment is not always ideal. Both of my children were adamant they did not want to go to single sex schools. I guess you just have to go what your DD feels when she visits the schools. If she is already used to single sex education then maybe Townley is the better choice. I would not get hung up on percentage of A* results! My DS is very happy at BGS and my DD will join him there. Hope this helps. :D
roundthree

Post by roundthree »

Thankyou Bexleymum.

Would it be too personal to ask what you did not like about all girls, as I went all girls comp school and felt no ill effects. In fact I barely recall the fact it was all girls, just school.

Hi Juancurt and Strangemum, have you made any more headway? I have emailed Bexley and they have replied the same day, very impressed...

1. Would it be possible to obtain the percentage of girls only in year 11 gaining 5 gcse passes A* - B and the average GCSE points score per girl. I am asking because I want to make a fair comparison with Townley Grammar, as I am thinking about the widespread belief that girls perform better in girls only schools.

97% gained 5 GCSE passes at A*-B. Average point score per girl of 518 (416 capped best 8).

Average point score per entry for girls is 50.

2. Do the pupils study music as part of the curriculum or only as after school clubs and paid for individual lessons?

Yes, pupils study music for one period per week in Year 7 to 9 and then have it as an option at GCSE. Both Music and Music Technology are currently offered at A level.

3. What time and days is homework club held?

Monday to Thursday after school from 3.05 – 4.30 pm. The library is also available (breakfast club) before school from 7.45 until registration at 8.30 am.

4. Can you tell me what sort and amount of P.E. is covered within the curriculum and does it include dance?

• Innovative use of multi-skills in the first half term in year 7 and 8 to develop agility, balance and coordination.

• A full range of over 30 other sports and activities during the KS3 curriculum including: rugby, cricket, netball, football, badminton, tennis, basketball, dance, outdoor and adventurous activities, fitness training and gymnastics.

• Extra-curricular clubs and fixtures in a wide range of activities before and after school.

• KS4 curriculum includes GCSE PE and Level 1 qualifications in sports leadership.

• AS/A2 Physical Education and IB Sports and Exercise Health Sciences during KS5.

These are my questions and the replies are in red. I think the gymnastics and dance at Townley may be more freely available which are my DD's interests. Townley also study music as part of the curriculum. Also Townley average GCSE points score per pupil is 541.99 against Bexley's 518.

Townley also replied quickly.....

Thank you for your email requesting information to help in your decision making:

I cannot give you any statistics for girl's acedmic acievements in other schools; however, you can research single sex education on the web.

Homework club is available everyday in the Library from 3.35 - 5pm (supervised).

All girls in Y7 have 3 Pe lessons (week 1) and 2 lessons (week 2) consisting of:

1 games, 1 creative (i.e. gymnastics), 1 fitness - (week 1) & 1 games, 1 creative (week 2) when the girls move into Y8 fitness is replace by 'Young Leaders'.

All our current lunchtime and after school clubs are shown on our website. (I have looked at this and there is a wide range.)

Is there anyone out there who has DDs at Townley or Bexley who could help us with their experience.
greenwichmum

Post by greenwichmum »

My daughter is in year nine at Townley, she made the decision herself, we liked chis and sid and bexley grammar when we looked around but it is not easy to choose between them.

She went to a mixed primary but always gravitated towards the girls more and generally finds boys annoying (long may it last).

She plays the flute and enjoys dance, she is happy there and there doesn't seem to be too many problems with girls being nasty to each other which I had been concerned about before she went there. She is doing well but the main thing is she likes going to school each day. If you have any specific questions please ask.
Pemble

Post by Pemble »

My daughter is in year 8 at Townley and she is extremely happy there. She settled in well very quickly last year when she started. The homework can be a bit much at times but she copes with it. We have not experienced any incidences of bullying. She also plays the flute and there are plenty of extracurricular opportunities both at lunchtime and after school. I would highly recommend the school but this is just my view. As others have said you need to form your own opinions about what is best for your DDs. Hope this helps.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

There's some very interesting stats posted here but there's more to this than meets the eye.

I have a dd who has gone through BGS and is now in the 6th form there. She has done exceptionally well (11 a*/a s and 1 b) but then would probably have done well at an all girls school too. Imho girls at BGS outshine the boys in maths, sciences and other more traditional 'girl' subjects like languages and the arts. This might not be a scientific study but that's the result of many of the kids in my dd's year group.

The Head specifically sets out to find the most challenging gcses he can. He has said numerous times he could improve the stats even further if certain subjects were dropped eg Latin or Russian or an easier syllabus was studied. But he's not interested in climbing the league tables simply to be at the top of the tree.

The idea behind this is to prepare the students for 6th form. At BGS the step up to 6th form is not much of a shock for year those joining year 12 in comparison to other schools. At some schools the kids simply cannot cope and drop out.

I'm not suggesting any of the schools discussed here are looking for the easy option. Just be aware when comparing various stats. Also look at which languages are offered, not all schools offer the same.
roundthree

Post by roundthree »

Thank you Tracy, thats very interesting. Yes I have been looking at languages and all three grammars study about the same. i.e. two languages up to year 9, one language must be studied for GCSE with options of others (this is for all three if I remember correctly). Also all study triple science throughout. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh, my head is banging, I cannot split the two.

Can you tell me about the P.E. at Bexley G. My DD is into dance and drama big time. She goes to a dance and drama school three evenings per week and loves it. Although she is not so much into sport. Also do they separate girls and boys for p.e?

I really do not know how to make this decision, I am considering flipping a coin, lol.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now