distribution of marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

guest1

distribution of marks

Post by guest1 »

does anybody know the distribution of marks for those successful in the last set of 11plus exams? So for example, what % of pupils got in the 320's, 330's and so on? Also what was the highest mark?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Guest,

Do you mean KE Grammars or Birmingham Grammar.

If you mean the former you can only estimate this as the final score is an accumulation of 3 standardised scores for NVR, VR and Numerical type questions. See the NFER references on Standardisation from the home page - 116 being about he 86th percentile.
guest1

distribution of marks2

Post by guest1 »

thanks for your reply ken - I was asking about the ke foundation grammars. I just wondered about the % of students who got the successful marks, what the top mark was, how many got in the 400s, 390s and so on.
abcdef

Distribution of marks

Post by abcdef »

Hi there
My son was successful in obtaining a place at KE Aston this year, but it is apparantly the foundations' policy that they will not tell you your score if you are successful.
However, I can let you know that he got a standardised score of 414 on the Bishop Vesey test, which related to an actual score of 132/135.
Hope this is of some help to you.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Guest

As the previous reply stated, it's difficult to get detailed information on the KE Grammars scores.

Although it's not possible to find out what the top marks are , it is possible to estimate the pass percentages for the various schools using the total Standardised pass score for that year:-

For example, for Camp Hill Boys, which is statistically the most difficult of the KE grammars to get into, the pass marks for the last 3 years have been 343, 341, and 347 respectively for 2007, 2006 & 2005.

If you take 2005, then 347 is equivalent to about 3 x 116, and a standardised score of 116 is about the 86th percentile. ie 14% passed and 86% failed. Now I happen to know that they always set the pass mark to offer more boys places than the official 93 per year entry, to allow for wastage - ie those not taking up the offer of a place. In 2005 they made 114 offers. So in 2005, for those candidates putting Camp Hill Boys down as there 1st choice there would be approximately 114 passes and about 700 who failed.

You can do the same calculations for the other schools where the ratio is lower (ie a better chance of getting in)

For KEFW the corresponding pass marks were 328, 329 and 330; for KE Aston the marks were 324, 327, 324 for 2007, 2006 & 2005 entry. In Standardisation scores 110 is about the 74th percentile.

Interestingly, you get an idea of you child's score in the test when you get his end of year7 report. They set targets to attainment based on their 11+ score, SATs results and a further ability test set at the start of the year. Therefore high target implies good score!

Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

Interestingly, you get an idea of you child's score in the test when you get his end of year7 report. They set targets to attainment based on their 11+ score, SATs results and a further ability test set at the start of the year. Therefore high target implies good score!
Is this is a fact? Are parents told in Sept? My son will be starting KEFW in Sept and we were no aware of this. Please elaborate more.

Thanks
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Guest

I'll try to expand.

We received our son's annual report in June just before the final parents evenings. (I have to say that the report and format are really excellent.)

In the subject assessment section they are awarded marks for achievement of A*, A, B, C or D. This is based on a combination of their end of year exams and their coursework and ongoing tests.

On the second page of the report they them provide a chart which show the actual average achievement across all subjects on a month by month basis throughout the year. They allocate 5 points for A*, 4 for A down to 1 for D in each subject and then average.

The actual average achievement was them compared against an individual target figure. We were a confused as to how they worked out the target level so we asked the head of year at parents evening and found out that they based this on a combination of: (a) the 11+ exams scores, (b) SATs results and (c) A further assessment test that they did at the start of the year. Interesting approach and quite helpful.

On the 11+ scores, long story, but as it happens we were able to find out our son's score in last year exam (339) but only because of the fact that he didn't reach the required pass mark for Camp Hill Boys for that year (341). If you are on the waiting list for any school or fail they will tell you your scores.

I should add that in hindsight we are really pleased that he's at KEFW and not Camp Hill - I'm not sure he would have done as well there.

Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

KenR,

We chose KEFW as our first choice school and put Camphill second, purley becuase we didn't want our son to go there, strange yes we know but Camphill has other issues that I won't talk about. Anyway, my son could have passed and got marks good enough to meet the requirements of Camphill. Now, using the report at the end of year 7 at KEFW, how would that fair for him in terms of knowing his score for entry based on your post?

Would be interested to know.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Guest

A few points - firstly the end of year report is confidential and secondly you don't actually get to know the 11+ scores but you can probably hazard a guess as to whether they were high or low.

To be honest, most people don't care once their child has passed. The school is very good about this and take a view that anyone who passes should be achieving a B level in all subjects.

Interestingly there is no streaming in KEFW, all children are allocated randomly to their classes irrespective of 11+ scores etc.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now