Change of school

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
malkbk

Change of school

Post by malkbk »

My son is currently at a private school where SATS are not done. If he passes his 11 plus ,we will have to move to Bucks immediately and he will have to have two terms at a Bucks primary school where I am assuming he will have to take the SATS exams he has not been schooled for.
I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this. I know nothing about SATS . Would he be OK do you think. What sort of exam is it?
many thanks Barbara
Barbara
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

I shouldn't worry about SATs at Key Stage 2. They're mainly a test of the level of the school (and to a lesser extent the child) in the three main subjects (Maths/English/Science) and not really an exam as such. Most children do little, if any, specific revision - especially if they have passed the 11+ and already have a place at grammar. Your son would probably have covered most of the topics anyway in his independent school. Most teachers will review in the Easter term.

Incidentally, I don't want to seem nosy, but what will you do if he doesn't pass?

Geoffrey
malkbk

sats

Post by malkbk »

Thankyou for your reply. I didn't want him to have to start a whole new set of extra work for these.
I am working on alternatives if he does not pass. It is unlikely that we will move house though .I would not wish to uproot him simply to attend a secondary school in Amersham rather than here.He has the option to stay at his present school till 13 but my preference if he has to move is to do it at 11 and let him start a new school when most others do.
thankyou for your help.
Barbara
Barbara
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

If you want to check that he is covering the SATs topics, you can look on BBC bitesize revision online for key stage 2, or buy one of the many revision guides on the market.

Geoffrey
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

you can also get copies of teh primary strategy and lots of information from teh dfes website (or whatever the current acronym is!)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Geoffrey,

Your view of KS2 tests is not in accord with secondary school teachers - they are a vital piece of data about new Y7s and often more reliable than a 11+ score .

The KS3 targets are set from KS2 levels so underachievement at KS2 is to be avoided.
OnHolidaySoon

Post by OnHolidaySoon »

There is a discussion about the importance of the SATs here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... c&start=15

Post by Guest »

Most children do little, if any, specific revision - especially if they have passed the 11+
I'm not sure that I agree. My childs school spend weeks preparing children for their SATS in order to try and maintain their standing in the local league tables. As previous posters have said KS2 results inform for predicted KS3 results and do have a bearing in a good number of secondary schools. That being said if your child has sat 11+ exams that include English and Maths the SATS should seem comparatively easy - however, I am sure there are exceptions to this.

Post by Guest »

The KS3 targets in most grammar schools are based on KS2 levels, cognitive ability tests (CATs), sometimes internal exams, and are frequently revised according the pupils achievements.
My daughter's grammar school head explained that the original targets are only guidelines because the pupil intake come from a wide range of backgrounds: excellent to poor primary state schools (didn't say it as plainly as this!!) and independant schools. The targets are quicky adjusted according to the school own assessment of the pupil ability.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most Bucks Grammars do not do CATs - they use FFT [Fischer Family trust] predictions which are based on KS2 levels plus teacher assessments.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now