AGGS-no of candidate sit for and passed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
aharris

AGGS-no of candidate sit for and passed

Post by aharris »

I hope you would not mind as I am starting this new thread.

I am on the same boat and anxious like many parents who lives 4-6 miles away from school so would like to see what is the chance of getting a place in AGGS.
My DD passed with a good marks both in AGGS and Urmston but I would really really like to see her in AGGS. We are waiting for SGS and Stretford results as well.

If anyone (I am sure there are people) can provide with the following information with re to AGGS would be highly appreciated.

(1)How many pupils sit for the entrance exam this yr and last year(s) -2012,2011,etc.
(2)how many of them passed?
topsyturvy

Re: AGGS-no of candidate sit for and passed

Post by topsyturvy »

Ok, now I shall behave like a 11+ parent :P , and try and make a guess:

Ans 1:
Total number of rooms on the exam day were A to DD, so 26 ( A to Z) plus 4 (AA to DD) = 30 rooms.

Approx. 30 girls in each room hence 30 X 30 = 900 girls

Ans2: I dont know how many passed, sorry :cry:
llol39

Post by llol39 »

930 girls sat the AGGS exam. Hope that helps :)
aharris

Post by aharris »

Thanks llol39 and topsyturvy, these helpful.

I am trying to understand whether number of people passed this year compare to last year(s) are higher and if so how much higher? How many pupils compete for 1 of the 174 places?
I know it will not stop my thinking of whether will get chance or not but statitiscally may see some hope.
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

At my DD's school 15 passed this year, only 4 last year. At another local primary 22 passed, only around 12 last year so it would appear that more local girls have passed this year compared to last year. I don't have all the figures unfortunately, this is just an indication.
bns

Post by bns »

not sure if this helps or is relevent but
consider two cirles one at 4 miles say and another at 6, whose origins are at the same point
the area of the larger circle is aprox 113 sq miles and the smaller aprox 50 sq miles
noticed that although you have only gone 2miles further out ,the catchment area has more then doubled, now as any one of our very bright dd's could tell you, it's not really the distance from school that counts but the area of the catchment
which is a function of the square of the distance
or is my thinking wrong?
no hang on thats wrong, the difference in the catchment area has gone up by 63 which is >> then the whole of the inner catchment
Last edited by bns on Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

bns wrote:not sure if this helps or is relevent but
consider two cirles one at 4 miles say and another at 6, whose origins are at the same point
the area of the larger circle is aprox 113 sq miles and the smaller aprox 50 sq miles
noticed that although you have only gone 2miles further out ,the catchment area has more then doubled, now as any one of our very bright dd's could tell you, it's not really the distance from school that counts but the area of the catchment
which is a function of the square of the distance
or is my thinking wrong?
I would say you were spot on bns.
aharris

Post by aharris »

That's right bns.
But I was comparing last year 6.2 miles distance, so no rocket science but to have an idea. It's all data crunching,anaylysis to find some assurance.
bns

Post by bns »

at our primary 4miles from AGGS
2 sat the exam and one didn't make it
normally 2 or3 go there every yr of of say 5 or so who sit the exam, so its gone down, but i think the sample is to small to have any statiatical significence
I think unless you have all the relevent data even a small error could wildly stew the findings
personally I find it very hard to believe that over 12 months all of the local girls have grown two brains :lol:
could we not ask the admissions officer , that from the information she has available does she expect the cut off boundary to be significantly differnt this yr??
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

If it helps last year 903 sat the exam. 295 girls passed for consideration for the 174 places. On 1st allocation they went out to approximately 6 miles.
74 girls scored between 324-333
70 girls scored between 314-323
73 girls scored between 304-313
81 girls scored between 294-303
310 girls scored under 294