content

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mummy2

content

Post by mummy2 »

Hi guys,
I an new to this forum, but have been reading other people's postings for a while.
My daughter is 9 years old and will be sitting 11+ in 2008. can someone let me know the content please. thanks

Post by Guest »

My daughter explained:

10 mins proof reading
10 mins word recognition with definitions
25 mins maths and verbal reasoning

15 mins break

10 mins non verbal
20 minutes maths
15 answering questions on proof reading and finding the meaning of made up words
mummy2

content

Post by mummy2 »

hi,
Thanks for the information. I think I didn't put my question properly.
Can anyone tell me what i should be teaching my daughter to make sure she is ready for 11+. I am particularly interested in maths. Shall I teach her everything or only some topics are required.
thanks in advance.
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Hi

If you read back through some of the previous posts, I think that may help you. However, for maths, we used Bond books and just worked through until we got to the 11+ books. I did some algebra with my daughter, but I don't think that this came up in the papers - it just made me feel better that she knew some.

Also, have a look at the NFER maths papers, as these are quite hard and were good practise.

The maths in the papers were more concerned with thinking skills - working out problems. My daughter found some very hard indeed and just guessed the answers, but she still got in. She is pretty good at maths (definitely one of her best subjects) so I was able to teach her some quite difficult stuff. Angles are a good one to go for - ie, with straight lines and lines that cross.

It seems like an age since we were doing this, so someone might be able to give more information for you.
mummy2

Post by mummy2 »

hi,
Thanks for the information, much appreciated. Just a query, my daughter turned 9 in may and will be sitting in exams next year. do you think this is the right time to get started or shall i wait for a while. also, is it beneficial to arrange for a tutor or you think home coaching is good enough.
guest1

home coaching

Post by guest1 »

It depends on the quality of the home coaching. My wife and I are both teachers and we taught my son, maths, vr, nvr and English to a high standard but even we used a tutor. It then depends on the tutor. Ours came highly recommended, was very expensive but she really knew her stuff. We honestly couldn't have done more and he did get in to a foundation school and was also offered a place at KES. the key thing is to get hold of somebody with experience in the system and with a track record. that's all you can do really. There are tons of resources on the market and the bond are popular and probably the best preparation although my wife swears by the AEB books - they do explain things quite clearly. There are also Bond books called 'How to do VR' and "How to do NVR' which are a sound introduction to the techniques although we found them too easy for the test. If anyone tells you that you don't need to teach NVR and VR then make your excuses and leave. Children can definitely be taught how to do the problems. There is a sense in which it depends how badly you want it, how much your child wants it and can you afford a good plan b if s/he is unsuccessful. Good luck. It was one of the most stressful years of my life.
mummy2

tutors

Post by mummy2 »

hi,
Where can I find a list of 11+ tutors and how do I know that they are good. Can anybody suggest some reputed tutors.
thanks
guest1

tutors

Post by guest1 »

there is a list on this website but the only way to be sure of finding someone good is by personal recommendation - you need to ask other parents at your child's school and also maybe the teachers will know of someone. Sometimes even if a good tutor is fully subscribed then they will know of someone else. You then need to make a judgement yourself. The big thing is the track record, how long have they been doing it, do they know the system, have they had successes - are they honest? are they prepared to tell you if your child is not up to it. Can they give detailed answers to your questions. Ultimately, there are no guarantees, even very bright kids have off days, that is the injustice of the system. As I say, you need a robust plan b.

Post by Guest »

Hi Guest1

Would you please send me details of the tutor you used, I am at my wits end in finding a good tutor. I had two different tutors in the past who were basically useless and I would really appreciate your help.

Many Thanks

Toby

tabz_1@hotmail.co.uk
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now