Why do you love chb..help me choose

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
HappyRobot

Why do you love chb..help me choose

Post by HappyRobot »

I am still struggling as to which school to put first, so would love to hear why your ds loves or hates camp hill boys.

The other choice is kes Stratford.

Thanks in advance.
UmSusu

Re: Why do you love chb..help me choose

Post by UmSusu »

Good luck with your fortunate choice Happy :D

However, I think you might find that with two such fantastic schools you will not find many comments that actually criticise either of the schools : in fact regular posters will know that you can end up getting some serious lobbying if you dare to suggest that one certain school might just be considered better than another particular school.

Either way, I think that although you might be able to make rational comparisons about the benefits of each one ( results, league table positions, facilities etc and even logistics) in the end it will come down to a gut feeling about what suits your child - it is no good comparing sports facilities if your child is a complete bookworm that doesn't like sports!
Ask him what he prefers: whilst I would not leave this sort of decision entirely to a child, their opinion and reasons should be a big factor.

I would compare it to buying a house: you make all the rational lists to ensure that you make a safe decision but the last voice goes to the gut feeling about what would suit you as your home.

Good luck with your enviable choice. I am sure someone with more practical advice will come along and probably confuse you even more!

UmSusu
UmSusu
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

what a nice choice to have to make!!

What does your DS think, does he has a preference either way - if not, i suppose that doesn`t really help does it?

We never saw CHB, so i can`t really comment. As i have said before though, I so loved KES, just the whole feel was fabulous. Only down point is none of their own sporting facilities on site, but the school itself, it`s history and it`s location are all huge plus points for me. If my DS for some reason doesn`t make FW(his first choice) i would be more than happy if he ended up going to KES.

i know the schools are now closed, but why not have a drive out to them both this weekend, have a look through the gates, check out what`s about, look at where the bus would drop off and pick up. Maybe that will help.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I don't think you'd be disappointed with either, you have to go with where you think is best for your son. If he has an expressed opinion, why not go with that? Then for the next 7 years whenever he complains about anything you'll at least have the satisfaction of being able to point out that it was his own choice :wink: .
um

Post by um »

I suppose that as a parent of two CHB boys, I should wade in here.

I can't really think of anything to complain about, which is very unusual for me. :wink:
I am, in all honesty, a prolific complainer - in all walks of life.
It also takes a lot to make me impressed by a school - I'm ashamed to say that Ds2 attended 4 different Primary schools (5 if you count his nursery year).

I had been told that CHB gets by on the strength of its pupils (and clearly they are among the brightest boys around) and that teachers are old-school types who sit and have a snooze in lessons. Actually, there are many genuinely great teachers there who give a huge amount of energy to the boys and are fully committed to them and the school. I've been very impressed with many of them.
For a very bright boy, it is an ideal school, and it is as if the boys are almost picked up and carried by its ethos, standards and vision for them. With a busy life and three other, younger children, I have little time or ability to keep watch over my older boys or even help them at all with homework.
I worried about my ds2 joining, who was in all honesty, terrible at ever completing Primary school homework (both I and the teachers just ignored this, to be honest). Yet he has happily surprised me by his ability to just get on with things himself, and complete work so neatly and with so much diligence (he was a naturally very messy, haphazard child) that I can hardly believe it. I believe this is down to clear expectations from school.
Another thing CHB has given my boys is a sense of respect for others and self respect, and good manners and self confidence.
Granted, many other Grammars may do the same thing, but I wouldn't say there's anything to worry about at CHB.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

Thanks um
The respect and confidence element is very important for me!
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Chb sets very little homework; most is class based and bare bones. The meat has to be put on at home. I encourage my son to participate in as much as he can and wants. It is quite a small intimate school considering.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

Paramjeet...could you explain re most has to be done at home....does that mean they are expected to teach themselves at home?
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Chb sets very little homework
:shock:

Certainly not my experience.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Certainly ours