QEB vs. CRGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mummy12c

QEB vs. CRGS

Post by Mummy12c »

Hi, I would like to know which is considered to be the best Grammer school in terms of overall performance for a given period of time say last 5-7 years if one has to choose between QEB Barnet and CRGS? Any opinion would be much appreciated. Thanks
moved

Re: QEB vs. CRGS

Post by moved »

I would suggest that you look on the league tables. Better is very subjective.
aang

Post by aang »

Apologies in advance for the rant.

I think it is bizarre to compare a school in Barnet with one in Colchester, especially bearing in mind your child has done fantastically well in the Kent entrance exams !?

Sending a child to the best school (if such a thing exists) may not be the best thing for your child anyway. QEB Barnet, CRGS and the Kent schools are all excellent in their own way - visit them with your child and agree which one sounds best instead of shopping around a 100 mile radius. ..
toolate

Post by toolate »

What is a more relevant question, possibly, is how well is my son likely to do in each of these schools, as the teaching will be great in all.

Some of that will depend upon your own DS' characteristics, but you have to consider commute time, his physical strength to endure the commute (this is a tough but often overlooked point, but I think it takes stamina). His independence/dependence on having a close group of friends. His interests eg sport, so important for some boys, music for others and whether he would miss out by living a long way away.

On the academic front, I understand some of the teaching at CRGS occurs out of hours - this has been discussed on another thread, so his subject options may be limited. I personally don't know about this. Apparently there is alot of homework, which is probably harder to complete after a long journey home.

There are many many things that we just can't control when we are considering different schools, which will be so important to their happiness, such as whether they have nice like-minded group of boys in their year - but that doesn't stop us considering all the things that we can control. Quite rightly , we all want the best for our DS'.

Personally, I am a huge league table hound. But when all of these schools are great academically, it is more important to figure out is how to ensure your DS would be in the top quartile of his year that gets the best results/Oxbridge/Russell places. It sounds like your son might do well academically everywhere, so perhaps you have the luxury of focusing on where he can best achieve his overall potential.

On another note, CRGS does very well in the league table but there is some debate (occasionally on this forum) about the degree to which that is impacted by the large, highly competitive intake at sixth form (girls and boys, some of whom board and are from abroad).

Attend as many open days as you can and ask all these thorny questions. Good luck!
moved

Post by moved »

May I add that some trips can start very early in the morning, so a 4am start for a trip means that you will have to get your son there for that time. Fine in theory, but getting up at 2.30 and griping home at 5.30 am isn't pleasant.
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

aang and too late have said it all. If you live or plan to move to north essex, then crgs is a good choice. Otherwise have faith in the fact that motivated supported children will generally thrive in a good school, and as are both good schools, go local, where your child will have a shorter journey and more local friends. Chasing the so called "best" is pointless at this level of quality
Mummy12c

Post by Mummy12c »

Hi toolate,
That was exactly what I wanted to know.
Last edited by Mummy12c on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moved

Post by moved »

How about Chelmsford then. I commute daily with my husband and our children walk to school.

We considered Colchester, but the commute is too long. We also used the 11+ to decide where to live and applied to both the Judd and KEGS. My husband was fed up with his journey to Victoria from Southeast Essex. We chose kegs as my son could commute while his sister finished primary school.

There are also buses from Chelmsford to Colchester for the grammar school children. What score did your son get? I've seen the Kent one, so he could get a place at the Judd.

My commute including a walk at both ends and the tube is about 1.5 hrs. It is enough.
ahap

Post by ahap »

I know a boy who lived in Chelmsford came in the top 15 at Kegs a few years ago, chose Judd due to Parents work. Dad worked in Kent, Mum works in Essex now. Before the move Dad drove from Chelmsford to Kent and mum used public transport to Cambridge. Children walked to Primary school with carer.
Now for dad, only a few minutes drive to work, Children a few minutes by public transport. Only mum has a long commute by public transport. This plan works for them as Dad is the one who takes the children to other extra curricular activities like swimming, football, b,day parties etc......
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Mummy12c

Post by Mummy12c »

Hi moved and ahap,
Thanks.
Last edited by Mummy12c on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now