Over subscriptions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Huskey

Over subscriptions

Post by Huskey »

Hi, I'm new to the forum. My son has passed the 11+ and would like to go to Calday Grammar. However we live over 9 miles away and are concerned that if we put Calday down first and it is oversubscribed, then we wont get in due to distance (he has no siblings there). Also then, the knock on risk is that he wouldn't get his second choice (Wirral Grammar) or his third (St.Anselms) either and may end up losing the opportunity to go to a grammar school completely.

We know that both schools intake = 355 for this year but obviously have no idea who many kids have passed this year.

Does anyone know how many kids passed the Wirral 11+ last year, so at least we have some kind of idea?

Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Over subscriptions

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Huskey

I can answer a bit of your question - if you don't get into Calday on distance, despite putting it first then it won't have any effect on your chances of getting into your second school which will then be considered to be your first choice.

as for the numbers -will have to get hunting!
kittykat92

Post by kittykat92 »

What I have been told is that the cohort as a whole is smaller for year 7 kids starting in 2013.....I have been told that over and over again by various head teachers over the last year or so. This means that statistically there should have been less take it this year than the last few years....resulting presumably in less kids passing?

Wirral LEA have said that approx 1600 children took the 11+ this time.....apparently only 30% of kids actually pass.

So lets say that 480 kids have passed. Divide that into boys and girls (will have to be equally down the middle coz I don't know exact figures) so 240 girls and 240 boys.

Wirral Grammar for boys has 155 places........Calday Grammar has 200.

On those hypothetical figures you should get in to Calday no problem :D but then again I could have totally incorrect information but thats what I have been told! :oops:
Huskey

Post by Huskey »

Thanks for the responses. Both make perfecgt sense. We will put Calday down and hope for the best.
Bati

Post by Bati »

from what i am hearing more children took the test this year due to finding results out before applying and by the looks of it it seems more have passed as well :(
i am trying to find out how many boys and girls have passed but so far having no luck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now